Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best screen surface?

Posted by camnewmexico (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 13:21

It looks like the screen surface is just as complicated as all the other factors in putting together a home theater system.

Anyone have any thoughts? Glass-beaded? Matte white? High contrast grey?

Are the upgrades on the screen surface worth it? and what are the factors that determine it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best screen surface?

There is loads of information at http://www.avsforum.com/, and you don't have to register to read it.

What is the right screen depends on the room and the projector. A few guidelines include:

- For a low contrast projector in a darkened room, a grey screen may be best (to boost blacks) as long as the projector is bright enough.

- For a low-brightness projector, you may need a high-gain white screen, but be aware that high-gain screens look best straight-on and tend to wash out at higher viewing angles.

- Rooms with less light control (not totally darkened) benefit from high-gain screens, too -- you need the gain to overcome the ambient light falling on the screen.

- There are some fairly good, inexpensive screens that are quite highly regarded. Check out the "screens" forum at AVSFORUM, as well as the DIY screens section for ideas on how you can use a painted wall to good effect.

I have a fully darkened room with dark chocolate walls and ceiling, and I project onto a screen painted on the wall. A professional screen would be better, but my setup gets plenty of "wows!" when first-time visitors watch a movie on it.

o
RE: What is the best screen surface?

Thanks, Java Man. I've forwarded your post to the DH. Your setup sounds great...but we designed ours in such a way that we have to have a screen...but will hopefully be able to control the ambient lighting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here