Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fedude

Cathedral ceiling speakers?

Jack
15 years ago

I'm just building a new house and I have a large great room with a 18' peak ceiling. The large flat TV will go on a side wall with the ceiling sloping up and away from the TV wall. I want to put in-ceiling speakers in the room for the TV, but I'm concerned that the sound will be sent in the wrong direction.

How many speakers would I mount in the ceiling (rear? side? etc. )

Would the sound be directed improperly?

Comments (3)

• caudex1
    15 years ago

I have dipole wall mount speakers that were placed on our vaulted ceiling for the rears. They are 6ft overhead and about 2ft behind the couch so they are somewhat pointed toward the back of the viewers head. For my odd shaped room the rears sound pretty darn good!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

If I were you, I would use a set of bookshelf speakers to determine placement by trial and error before cutting any holes. You may find that placing wall speakers high in the wall (oriented horizontally) gives a cleaner sound than any placement in a sloped ceiling. Wall speakers would probably sound even better if aimed parallel to the ceiling ridge (not aimed toward the slope, but with it).
    Casey

• Jack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a diagram showing the room. If I placed them in the ceiling, should I place them slightly behind the sofa or in the ceiling over the kitchen to get the proper angle to the TV Viewer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Room Diagram

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions