Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to connect 4 speakers in one room to the source output...

Posted by roger_northeast (My Page) on
Mon, May 29, 06 at 9:27

Supposed I have a room where I want 4 speakers to be playing the same source.. how would I wire them? Do I run 2 pairs of wires (one pair for each speaker pair, ie 4 wires) all the way to the distribution source and then tied them together or can I run a pair from the source to the first speaker pair 1 and then a short run from speaker pair 1 to pair 2? If the latter, how would I wire them? In series or parallel?

Thanks
Roger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to connect 4 speakers in one room to the source output..

parallel. normal home speakers are 8 ohms. if you run a pair in parallel then the total impedence would be 4 ohms which is ok.

o

No. Most recievers cant handler 4ohm loads.

o

Hi Roger, assuming your amplifier has 4 connectors for output, I believe you should run four separate wires.

o

OK. I will run 4 separate wires to the unit in the basement but then the question remains: If I connect them in parallel (each wire to the same speaker terminal in the amp), then the amp will only see 4ohms. I'm guessing this is not good. Do I need a separate box in between to fake the amp into seeing 8 ohms? Does such a thing exist?

R.

o

Connect them in series. How big are these speakers? In series they will be 16Ohms but should be good ebough power for most. Or you can buy a impedance matching speaker switch from partsexpress dot com If you dont have speakers anywhere else you could connect them to the surround speaker connections of a reciever and set the reciever to phtantom or 5 channel stereo so it sends same signal to all speakers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here