Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a Playstation 3 for Media Center

Posted by garymunson-2008 (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 4:08

Anyone using a Playstation 3 as a media center? I got one for the included blueray player and to store my music and photos. My first problem has been once I uploaded my photos, I found the PS3 resorted them by date rather than by the folders I had carefully grouped them in. Still gives great slideshows but I get a bunch of unrelated photos on screen. Would like to know if there's a way to fix this. Still been a better option than the Buffalo Media Streamer I used previously that required my home computer be on to see my pix or listen to music. Both have a HDMI connection and give excellent viewing. I never was able to get the Buffalo to surf the web properly while the PS3 does it perfectly. Also the Buffalo had no way to connect a keyboard unlike the PS3. I know you can install Linux on the PS3 and would like to hear from someone who has. Thanks, Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a Playstation 3 for Media Center

My own follow-up....
I have since discovered that by putting my photos on a 'thumb drive' that the PS3 will retain the folder structure as long as I leave the drive installed in the USB slot and read the pix from there. If I copy the drive content to the PS3's hard drive, however, the folders go away and the 'giant lump of photos' occurs. At least that's an inexpensive work-around.
Gary

o

Another PS3 tip I've discovered.... Get a IR (infra-red)USB 'dongle' and plug it in to your PS3. This will allow you to use your non-bluetooth Harmony remote with the PS3 (which doesn't have an infra-red sensor). Better option than having to buy the Sony or third-party BlueRay bluetooth remote. Harmony remotes rule!

o

So which PS3 40GB 80GB??

Thanks

o

I got the 40. Since I'm not into games, the 80's ability to run ps2 games was not an issue...It's simple to upgrade the hard drive later and the extra $100 for the 80 would almost cover the expense of a really big drive if I need it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here