Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Connecting my laptop to my televisions

Posted by joann23456 (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 2:25

I'd like to be able to connect my laptop to two televisions in our house. The laptop has a 4-pin S-video port for video and a headphone port for sound. One television has an S-video connector, the other is RCA.

I have a long S-video cable, and I think I need to buy a male S-video to male RCA adapter to connect to the older television, right?

About the sound, the S-video cable came with what they called a "jack to phono cable". It has one black connector on one end and two connectors - black and red - on the other end. Is this the correct cable? My television has red, yellow and white female connectors. I tried to plug in the cable I have (I connected red-to-red and white-to-black) and play sound, and it didn't work, but I'm not sure whether it's because I have the wrong cable or need to change some setting on the computer.

That's about it. Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Connecting my laptop to my televisions

For sure you need to select the right output on your computer, in Windows that's often done by right clicking the desktop and selecting "Properties". In one of the tabs you can select an external monitor. Sound should work without changing any settings, try with a headphone first if your audio is switched on.

About the RCA plugs: red and white are audio, yellow is composite video.

Hope this helps at least a bit.

o

We use two different laptops at times on our tv to what online shows. One uses just the svideo and the other a hdmi. With either of those we do not need to use any rca cables. Sometimes it seems to be worth getting a newer tv. To complicate things, our cable tv provider is messing things up by requiring a box even for a digital capable tv. geez.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

o

Why wouldn't you just buy a $99 apple tv? You could stream everything using your wi-fi wirelessly from your computer to your tv, including your photos, netflix streaming, your itunes etc etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here