Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is hassle-free pre-wiring?

Posted by zagyzebra (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 1:34

I will be completely gutting and remodeling my high-end rental home, which I may end up living in myself again. It's a 1930 home, and the thought of pre-wiring it for modern electronics scares me. Is there a minimum amount of pre-wiring that is considered essential for today's standards?

We are a family of minimalists. We have 1 big screen tv and don't even use it. We have speaker systems but opt for the tiny travel speaker systems that attach to our laptops.

All this pre-wiring seems like overkill to me, especially with wifi.

Does pre-wiring require determining in advance placement of televisions? It seems premature to mastermind a fixed interior design, especially when I change around a room every couple of years or so.

Audio throughout the house makes sense, though I question just how much it would be used.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is hassle-free pre-wiring?

It very much depends on your use/interest in technology. It might make good sense to have COAX and CAT5 in every room likely to have a TV or computer. There are wireless receivers for TV's and WiFi for computers but hard wiring is generally faster and less problematic.

o

I think between BluRay, Roku & Apple TV, wireless television is definitely a possibility. Probably more important is to have the right kind of wiring for high-speed internet connections so all your wireless devices work as seamlessly as possible. And I suppose, since the walls gotta come down, it would be foolish not to do wiring for a whole-house sound system. Does this sound reasonable?

Any recommendations on inexpensive, decent sounding speakers with plates that can be painted to go throughout the house?

Also, I'd hate to botch this up and want to shop around for a good person to do the wiring. Any suggestions on the best way to go about finding one? My house is in Los Angeles.

o

Here is a guide to everything and then some you wanted to know about wiring a house. Even if you dont want to take it as far as automation, the basics are discussed as well. We are building and I just finished pulling low voltage wires in my house. I did pull wires for phone/data/tv, whole house audio, surround sound, etc. Hope it helps as much as it helped me.

http://ourhomebuildtn.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiring Your New House 101

o

Run conduit and leave it empty for now. That way you can run whatever you need, if anything at all, in the future. Cat-X, fiberoptic, whatever.

Don't make sharp 90-degree turns when running the conduit, use a larger radius "sweep" turns.

If you have a basement (or attic) you could drop the conduit down into the basement for a home run type of station.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here