Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Theater Wiring

Posted by briankort (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 16:19

Hello Friends,

I am having my basement finished. The walls are currently open so I am running my Home Theater speaker wire. Can I run the speaker wire through some of the same holes the electrician drilled through the studs to run electrical wiring, or would this cause feedback or interference?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Theater Wiring

If it can be avoided, then don't do it. Try to be separated by at least a foot if run in parallel and try to cross at 90 degrees.
If you are too close to the high voltage AC line, some interference may be heard, especially at lower volume and probably more noticeable with longer runs.
It doesn't take much to drill some new holes with a good bit.

o
RE: Home Theater Wiring

I'll add something here.

Whether it can be avoided or not, do NOT run any of the audio wiring in the same holes as the electrical. It's not a matter of "some interference may be heard". It's a matter of a 60 cycle hum WILL be heard.

If you must run paralell, as stated above, separate by at least a foot, preferably more. And do cross at 90 degrees, that is absolutely correct.

As I tell my guys?

"Drill new holes you lazy ****" (said in fun of course).

By the way. Make sure the "stereo wire" that you install is actually meant for the purpose (16 gauge twisted as opposed to lamp cord/zip cord). Also ensure that it is rated for inwall use. That IS important.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here