Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.

Posted by bafeuer (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 07 at 22:04

Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound great) 50" Dell TV/CD player/Denon receiver/surround sound speakers up and running. Comcast doesn't have a code for Dell, so we have it's remote, awa 3 others now! It's driving us crazy, and we figured since we spent all this $ for a great surround sound system, we might as well get a universal remote for everything. Which one is the best for the $ which will be user-friendly for civilians, and if we press a wrong button, not take us days to figure out!
Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.

Harmony 880. You can usually find them for $150-160. I wouldn't use anything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harmony remote

o

Taboni,
Wow! Thanks so much--the guy who set up our home entertainment system is recommending a universal remote that costs closer to $300-400. Not surprising? And to think we can set it up ourselves (we've assumed from our set up guy we'd need him to do), but from the Harmony link, it certainly seems my husband and son I thinkthere's enough brain power to do/I'll leave me out of this equation!) Where can we buy 1? We'll do this weekend!

o

Very easy to set up and maintain, should your equipment change. I'm not sure where you are located but I think you can buy them in Best Buy these days, although I got mine online as that is where I have found the best prices (Amazon has them for 155 at the moment..very good price)

o

thanks so much. i'll check Amazon, and we're in Bethesda, MD outside DC, and we certainly have Best Buy!

o

bafeur,

I would definitely think twice about buying that Harmony remote. It won't take very long for you to figure out why it's cheaper....

Might the "guy" who set up your AV system be a pro? Does AV system for a living?

Why would you not go with what that pro recommends?

Let me guess. The pro proposed either an RTI T2, or a URC MX900? A pro level control as opposed to a DIY item that will not work consistantly.

Pro's in this industry do not sell Harmony....

o

I have the Harmony 628. I have no problems with using several remotes, but my wife gets PI$$ED.

the nice thing about the 628 and higher is first off price, i got a deal on amazon for $30, usually $60-100.

second, it has dedicated buttons that say "watch TV" watch a movie" etc. VERY easy. it hooks up via USB and programs over the web.

for a simple setup like yours (no rs-232, lighting, automation)the harmony is all you will need. for advanced functions (that are usually supported on the lcd screen anyway) you can always just get out the device remote.

BTW, i do have a large system upstairs in my bonus, and this remote would do 90% of what i want up there. it is all based on how well you picked your components.

o

I have the Harmony 658.

o

i saved all that money by living with two remotes. i'm just saying.

o

Wish I had only 3 (or 2). I have seven! (cable box, TV, BluRay, SACD, AppleTV, DVR, and Yamaha AV receiver). I can't find a remote which will duplicate all the necessary functions on these.

o

mtvhike..... just don't do what i,ve done. get the remote confused with the cordless phone. that brings the level of confusion up to "off the sofa" level. not a good place when you have witnesses:).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here