Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bafeuer

best universall remote for plasma/cd player/radio, etc.

bafeuer
17 years ago

Finally got our beautiful/great sounding(looks/sound great) 50" Dell TV/CD player/Denon receiver/surround sound speakers up and running. Comcast doesn't have a code for Dell, so we have it's remote, awa 3 others now! It's driving us crazy, and we figured since we spent all this $ for a great surround sound system, we might as well get a universal remote for everything. Which one is the best for the $ which will be user-friendly for civilians, and if we press a wrong button, not take us days to figure out!

Barbara

Comments (13)

• taboni
    17 years ago

Harmony 880. You can usually find them for $150-160. I wouldn't use anything else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harmony remote

• bafeuer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Taboni,
    Wow! Thanks so much--the guy who set up our home entertainment system is recommending a universal remote that costs closer to $300-400. Not surprising? And to think we can set it up ourselves (we've assumed from our set up guy we'd need him to do), but from the Harmony link, it certainly seems my husband and son I thinkthere's enough brain power to do/I'll leave me out of this equation!) Where can we buy 1? We'll do this weekend!

• taboni
    17 years ago

Very easy to set up and maintain, should your equipment change. I'm not sure where you are located but I think you can buy them in Best Buy these days, although I got mine online as that is where I have found the best prices (Amazon has them for 155 at the moment..very good price)

• bafeuer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks so much. i'll check Amazon, and we're in Bethesda, MD outside DC, and we certainly have Best Buy!

• KTKelly
    17 years ago

bafeur,

I would definitely think twice about buying that Harmony remote. It won't take very long for you to figure out why it's cheaper....

Might the "guy" who set up your AV system be a pro? Does AV system for a living?

Why would you not go with what that pro recommends?

Let me guess. The pro proposed either an RTI T2, or a URC MX900? A pro level control as opposed to a DIY item that will not work consistantly.

Pro's in this industry do not sell Harmony....

• hkstallion
    16 years ago

I have the Harmony 628. I have no problems with using several remotes, but my wife gets PI$$ED.

the nice thing about the 628 and higher is first off price, i got a deal on amazon for $30, usually $60-100.

second, it has dedicated buttons that say "watch TV" watch a movie" etc. VERY easy. it hooks up via USB and programs over the web.

for a simple setup like yours (no rs-232, lighting, automation)the harmony is all you will need. for advanced functions (that are usually supported on the lcd screen anyway) you can always just get out the device remote.

BTW, i do have a large system upstairs in my bonus, and this remote would do 90% of what i want up there. it is all based on how well you picked your components.

• Addison1993
    9 years ago

I have the Harmony 658.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

i saved all that money by living with two remotes. i'm just saying.

• mtvhike
    9 years ago

Wish I had only 3 (or 2). I have seven! (cable box, TV, BluRay, SACD, AppleTV, DVR, and Yamaha AV receiver). I can't find a remote which will duplicate all the necessary functions on these.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

mtvhike..... just don't do what i,ve done. get the remote confused with the cordless phone. that brings the level of confusion up to "off the sofa" level. not a good place when you have witnesses:).

• blessedmom_of_4
    9 years ago

My recommendation may be too late, but my husband purchased a harmony 900 (much to my dismay because of cost). I truly never thought I'd be impressed by a remote but this remote is pretty neat. It will guide you through steps when one of your electronics is not working correctly. It has a touch screen, can store 6 (or maybe 9) different types of electronics, it will also work through closed wooden doors where you store your electronics so you don't have to have all your equipment exposed. We have our tv, xbox, radio, DVD player, and play station connected. I have 2 teens and 2 toddlers and this remote has been dropped, thrown and I've accidentally dropped it in dishwater (immediately placed in rice). We have not had any problems with it in the 4.5 years we've owned it, and personally, if your going to spend thousands on a new tv and surround sound then what is a few extra hundred dollars, at least that's what my husband convinced me so I went with it and we have no complaints. :-)

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago

I also have a Harmony 900 - same positive experience as bleesedmom_of_4 above.

• PRO
    A/V Consulting
    8 years ago

The Harmony series is designed to be programmed by an end user but also has very limited functionality. Both Universal Remote and RTI are essentially "blank slate" type remotes that need to be programmed by someone who has the software and knows what they are doing. Harmony's also notoriously have a short lifespan. I have literally 2 dozen dead/Semi functioning/ and functioning Harmony remotes in a box that I've taken out of clients houses prior to setting them up with something that really works. I personally use the URC brand for clients who aren't going with something like a Crestron system. I have literally hundreds of them out there and they work perfectly and my clients love them. They allow me to set them up they way they should be with truly one touch functionality. No "answering questions" like "is the TV on?.

Anything besides one or two sources connected directly to a TV and the Harmony becomes a clunky mess.

The fact is, if you want something bulletproof, a remote programmed by a professional is the way to go. yes it'll cost little bit more. Any reputable firm will stand behind their programming. My company gives one free follow up after initial programming. The only time I charge for a follow up is if new equipment is being added/changed, then of course, I'm there any way.

Sponsored
More Discussions