Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mechengmajor

Do you have a home entertainment system?

mechengmajor
17 years ago

Hey, I am a Mechanical Engineer college student. I need some help. I need this survey (below) completed for one of my classes.

Answers would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you.

1. How many speakers does your sound system, excluding the subwoofer, contain (if you donÂt have one, how many speakers does the system you like or want to get have)?

a. 2

b. 3

c. 4

d. 5

e. 6

f. 7

g. More than 7

2. If so, Approximately how much did it cost to install your sound system including all speakers?

a. Less than $100

b. Between $100 - $200

c. Between $200 - $300

d. Between $300 - $400

e. More than $400

3. If so, Approximately what size are the individual speakers (length x width x height)?

a. Smaller than 7 x 7 x 10 inches

b. Larger than 7 x 7 x 10 inches

4. Could cutting squares of drywall out of the ceiling be a part of the installation as long as it was substituted for in the final product? If yes, would you be willing to do the cutting yourself or would you want to hire a professional to do it?

a. No

b. Yes; I would do the cutting myself

c. Yes; I would hire a professional

5. What size home do you have?

a. One-story

b. Two-story

c. More than two-story

6. Do you have a full-sized attic?

a. Yes

b. No

Comments (4)

• fourwheelin
    17 years ago

1. 5 speakers for the main system in a 5.1 channel arrangement. Why do I do this over the 7.1 channel? There is so little media available to use 7.1 channel vs. the more entrenched 5.1 DVD/SACD media being produced.
    2. There can be no benchmark price for audio, do to the wide field of manufacturers. Current system, I have not yet fully purchased or installed...will cost $4k+ for just the "main" audio listening room, not the whole house package.
    3. Inwalls should be rectangles, ceiling spkr.'s should be round traditionally. Ceiling spkr.'s should be 8" for better sound reproduction where applicable, and the same for in-wall using 8" woofers. JMHO
    4. Cutting is easy and can be done later, if you've pre-wired, and yes I'm doing it all myself. I am also building in "speaker boxes" with full 3/4 screwed & caulked and using acoustical speaker foam packing. Each in-wall/in-ceiling cabinet's internal vol. properly calculated for the speaker. This elimnates the sound moving so freely to other rooms as annoying rumble, and improves the sound quality where it's needed overall.
    5. Two story, yes.
    6. Full, yes.

• mechengmajor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you.

If anyone can please fill out the survey. I need about 20 responses.
    Thank you.

I also need to add one more question.

7. Do you own a power drill and/or saw?
    a. power drill only
    b. a saw only
    c. both
    d. neither

• huskyridor
    17 years ago

Here are 4 responses for you
    1 is my bedroom
    2 is my family room
    3 is my pavilion by the pool
    4 kids game room

1;
    1-3
    2-5
    3-5
    4-5
    2;
    more than 400 on all
    3;
    all larger
    4; all Yes, I'd cut myself
    5; two story
    6; yes
    7- both

Like 4wheelin I did it all myself during construction of my home.

See Ya,
    Kelly

• grinder12000
    17 years ago

1. How many speakers does your sound system, excluding the subwoofer, contain (if you donÂt have one, how many speakers does the system you like or want to get have)?

Define speakers - I have bi-pole surrounds which makes me a 7.1 system.

a. 2
    b. 3
    c. 4
    d. 5
    e. 6
    f. 7
    g. More than 7

2. If so, Approximately how much did it cost to install your sound system including all speakers?

a. Less than $100

3. If so, Approximately what size are the individual speakers (length x width x height)?
    b. Larger than 7 x 7 x 10 inches

My sub woofer is 36 inches tall :-)

4. Could cutting squares of drywall out of the ceiling be a part of the installation as long as it was substituted for in the final product? If yes, would you be willing to do the cutting yourself or would you want to hire a professional to do it?
    a. No

5. What size home do you have?
    a. One-story

6. Do you have a full-sized attic?

b. No

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions