Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Spot on Projector

Posted by floridajane (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 11:02

A red circle appears on the center of the screen now when we watch a b&w movie on the projector. Is this a stuck pixel, as another poster mentioned? Can we fix this?
Any thoughts?
--Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Spot on Projector

Oops-- scratch that first post. I know this isn't a stuck pixel, actually, since it takes up about 20 percent of the screen. Looks more like a circular red tint on the screen with the picture showing through more than anything. Surely the circle is there all the time, but of course it's very obvious on black and white movies. Okay, now that I've straightened my question out, does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
--Jane

o

What kind of projector? What kind and size of screen? How far back is the projector from the screen?

o

We have a Sharp 800 x 600 LCD projector. The screen is a high-contrast gray 6 ft. diagonal; it was an e-bay special that we bought a few years ago, so I don't remember what make it is. The projector sits about 11 feet back from the screen and rests on a coffee table. We can't find any way to remedy this tint spot, so any ideas you might have would be great! Thanks, schindo!
--Janie

o

Could be a dust blob on the red lcd panel.Do a Google search on LCD dust blob and there is a hit on a Sony that actually shows what it looks like on a blue panel I believe. If that is what you see except red then you will probably have to blow out the panels under the air filter with canned air.

o

My first thought. Try changing out the high contrast grey. Try the projector on a white "flat" surface and see if that helps first before you take apart your projector.

o

We were thinking dust blob too, so we blew some canned air in and indeed it looks like that did the trick...at least for the blob. We checked with a black and white movie, and the edges of the picture were yellow. Maybe this was the movie itself (I hope) or the projector is trying to keep us guessing. I'll try using a white surface-- great idea for getting a true picture of where the colors are showing up.

Thanks!
Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here