Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Room too big for a 65' plasma?

Posted by buildingsoon (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 23:56

We will be building soon and are planning a basement theater/family room with dimensions of 19'9" by 18'9". My husband really wants a plasma for the picture quality in a lit room and for playing wii. The problem is we can only find a 65" plasma size and that seems too small for that large of a room. Do you think a 65" will be okay or would you maybe put both a plasma in and a pulldown screen with projector to have the bigger screen size available? Thanks for any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Room too big for a 65' plasma?

If you go to the website crutchfield.com, they have information that will guide you on the optimal size tv screen based on the viewing distance.

o
RE: Room too big for a 65' plasma?

My projection room seating is about 17' from the screen and I have a 133" screen. I wouldn't want smaller.

I'm not sure how the Wii would look on a big screen projector, resoluton-wise. Plus, depending on where the projector and screen were located, you wouldn't want to be playing a jumping up and down game and getting in the way of the projector. Plus, do you want to rack up hours on the projector's bulb playing wii?

Lastly, you know ambient lighting can wash out a projection screen's picture. So depending on how much light will be on when playing Wii as well as the location of the light relative to the screen and the player's eyes, not to mention the type of screen...lots of variables...you might lose some fine game-playing screen details that could frustrate the players.

I'd recommend the projector for movies and quiet TV, and a smaller flatscreen for Wii.

FWIW, several screen manufacturers will send you screen material samples. I took all the samples, probably 15 in all, and taped them up on a sheet of plywood primed with white Zinsser primer. We used that to evaluate screen materials for both movie watching and TV (mostly sports) watching.

When we have a crowd over for football, we prefer to have some lights on in the room, so the Dalite High Power worked best for us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here