Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Really Big LCD screen

Posted by haus_proud (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 22:35

We are considering getting a very large (60 inches or larger) LCD screen with top quality HD picture. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has bought a TV of that size. About 2 years ago, last time I looked into these very large screens, I got the impression that they were not yet perfected.

Another question: With wide screen (16 by 9 aspect) you often get heads chopped off. Will this problem be solved when they switch to digital broadcasting? If not, what can you do to eliminate that problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Really Big LCD screen

standard def channels look like crap on large screens. always have and always will unless they are in wide screen format.

as to teh heads chopped off, your tv should have an aspect setting which will allow you to switch it to 4:3 mode when needed.

o

We've had our 70" Sony SXRD XBR2 for 2 yrs now and still absolutely LOVE it. Beautiful picture, great TV. It's like our TV viewing went from black-and-white to color. HD is amazing!

Two years is a long time in electronic's world.....what was true or good 2 yrs ago might not be today. Good luck with your research.

Tracey

o

The current best and biggest flat panel LCD screens are the 55" Samsung 950 series and the 55" Sony XBR8 series . Sharp offers a 65" LCD , but nobody is calling the picture quality on that set anywhere near top quality with it's poor shadow detail . In flat panel screen sizes 60" or more plasma is still the way to go for best picture quality with Pioneer , Panasonic , and Samsung being the top rated models respectively .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here