Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earlthepearl_gw

Digital Home Music Stereo

earlthepearl
18 years ago

I am interested in a home stereo system connecting to my computer system and wired throughout my house with remote control. Any great ideas.

Andrew

Comments (7)

• jtooley
    18 years ago

Look into the Apple Airport express. You can stream audio over wireless internet connections to multiple rooms in your house. It works with Windows and Apple computer

Here is a link that might be useful: Airport Express

• supercat_gardener
    18 years ago

I was interested in this until I learned that AirPort Express only works with iTunes music software and is not made to work with Web-based audio, including many Internet radio stations.

• steve_o
    18 years ago

Airport will indeed work with Internet radio stations (though likely not all of them -- a situation you'll find with every Ethernet-based music solution) and MP3s. iTunes has a boatload of Internet radio stations and all of them can be streamed through an Airport Express. Apple controls about 80% of the legal download market (and about that much of the MP3 player market), so they must feel they don't need to accommodate many other formats. You'll also find out that no other Ethernet music devices will play music downloaded from the Apple iTunes Music Store, either.

If you're looking for a more "agnostic" player (albeit one that won't play music downloaded from the iTMS, check out Slim Devices' Squeezebox. The application it uses for music delivery is open-source and is tweaked continually by an enthusiastic crowd of customers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squeezebox Web site

• brianmeriweather
    18 years ago

Try a sonos wireless system.
    It has some really cool features.

Here is a link that might be useful: sonos wireless media

• scott__s
    18 years ago

Here's an article written by someone I know who installed a sonos system in his house. There's some discussion of alternatives, but ultimately it's a review in praise of the Sonos system. We're considering a similar setup once we recover from the cost of the remodeling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole-House Music Systems

• jibba
    18 years ago

Only problem with Sonos is $$$--their system is significantly more expensive than other options.

There was an article on this topic over the past weekend in the Washington Post, but I can't find the link. Basically the author said that if you use iTunes, then a cheap and simple solution is the Airport system--if $$ is no object, then go with Sonos.

• grannabelle
    17 years ago

originally i wanted to hardwire for sound, when 2 estimates came back at over $7,000 - i decided not too...now someone said i can buy a wireless system (Bose?) i want to be able to hook it up to my stereo system (to play radio and CDs) and be able to have sound in about 5 different rooms - i also would like wireless surround sound for my new living room TV (yet to be purchased)- is this sort of system available and suggestions for companies would be great thanks