Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Music through Comcast etc

Posted by justmejulie (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 16:00

We are doing a mini remodel and had the electrician out to install cable in the wall for our soon to be plasma. The cable was run to a place I plan on putting the cable box and DVD player etc, he also installed 2 speakers in the same room and 2 speakers in the kitchen. I do not plan on using them for surround sound but just for music. We like the music from Comcast most of the time but we do have Ipod's and CD's. My question is can the speakers be hooked up directly to the Comcast box? Or do I need a receiver and can the receiver get the music from the Comcast? Also a recomendation on in wall speakers would be helful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Music through Comcast etc

You'll probably have HDMI from the cable box to the TV.

Depending on your receiver's possible inputs and the cable box's available outputs (optical, rca jacks, etc), have the audio output from the cable box go into your receiver, then the speakers get plugged in to the receiver.

I had been speaker hunting for several months, for in-wall speakers I recently settled upon Polk RC-85i's ($225 a pair) in the main room and RC-65i's ($150 a pair) in a couple of other smaller rooms.

I had not planned on Polks when I started shopping. And I'd never purchased from Crutchfield before this purchase. Crutchfield was having a special where if you spend over $450 you get a Polk PSW-111 subwoofer (about $300) for free. Not sure what the deal is with the subwoofer, I thought it might be reconditioned/returned or something like that, but when it arrived it came in new packaging, and an email from them said it was indeed new.

In-wall speakers can be a bit weak on bass, so a subwoofer isn't a bad idea. For placement, this Polk subwoofer can go pretty much anywhere in a room. Even behind furniture.

I had looked at several lines of in-wall speakers. Normally I'm a Klipsch guy, that's what I have for my stereo set-up and for my home theater. For the in-walls these are used primarly as background, whole-house music. So I wasn't looking for audiophile sound, but I was looking for a slightly bright, non-muddy sound. Something that sounded good at mid- to low-volumes, but at the same time a speaker that wouldn't break up at high volume levels.

While speaker preferences are quite subjective, I'm very happy with the Polk speakers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here