Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Music Distribution System and Speakers

Posted by olaugmw (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 6:59

Hello,

I am interested in installing a music distribution system in my condo. I am looking at a Russound CAM6.6X system with five zones. I was going to look at in ceiling speakers for the system.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone have an opinion on the Russound system? I am looking at having access to XM and access to my ipod collection in each room. Does anyone have any other system suggestions?

2. I want to place the speakers in the ceiling, I live in a condo with a neighbor upstairs. If I place the speaker in the ceiling, will my neighbor start complaining of the noise? The beams in the ceiling are about 18 inches tall to the subfloor of the neighbor. Maybe this is paranoid but I don't want to put in the system and then not use it. I don't listen to my music at loud levels, so it is not like I am trying to blow my neighbors out or anything.

3. Are there any ways to insulate the sound from the neighbors with insulation or other means?

Any suggestions would help and I am new at this as you can probably tell.

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards,

matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Music Distribution System and Speakers

Hi Matt,

I dont have any experience with that system, but I am an owner of an 8 zone/4 source Matrix system. I have used PSB ceiling speakers in my home (retail in Canada, about $200+ each) Some zones I have 4 speakers, in one other I have used only 2 speakers.

Here are some ramblings:

Key pads are a must have;
the Pronto remote is only one of others that may work your system (check out Harmony remotes as well);
I am a bit of an audiophile, so I wouldnt use ceiling speakers for critical stereo listening in your theatre room, nor would I use ceiling speakers in the theatre room for surround sound effect; ceiling speakers (imo) are a bit too light for good bass effect as well in your theatre room.
I dont missed the bass in the rest of the house so much;
Systems that can draw on more than one source at the same time is great as well.
If you have black/brown outs, get a surge protector.
Consider a media computer to install within your system;

I dont quite have 18" of room between floors, but this is the set up that I have:
Pink insulation between the floor joists;
Air space, about 6";
Then where I have a dropped ceiling , I have more pink (2") on top of the acoustic tiles.
This seems to be good sound insulation. The only trouble spot is above the excersise room which is not a dropped ceiling. This is under our walk-in closet, and it seems to rattle quite a bit. This room is drywall ceiling and is screwed right to the floor joists, so the transfer of sound is unfortunately quite good.

Hope this helps you out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here