Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmks_gw

Onkyo HDMI home theater system?

mmks
17 years ago

We saw this system at the store. 7.1 channel surround sound.. any experience good or bad?

Comments (5)

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Onkyo has a generally good reputation for audio. I've owned several Onkyo products over the years and enjoyed the sound and the build quality.

That said, however, there really is not all that much media out there in 7.1 format. And if you're serious enough to want 7.1 for the "ultimate realism" (at least until they find a way to sell 8.1 or 9.2 or something), you're too serious for a Home Theater in a Box like this.

My $.02 is that you're better off with a real 5.1 system: four good speakers, a subwoofer, and a home-theater receiver/amplifier. You probably would have to shop pretty carefully to match the price, but the quality of the components and sound will be much higher. If nothing else, drop to 5.1 and save yourself some money for more movies and stuff.

• mmks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, that was what sort of thing I was looking for, the guy in the store was steering toward Bose, but could get this 7.1 for less than 1/2 their 5.1. Think I will look into Onkyo 5.1, easier to find places for speakers too!

• nine7xbam
    17 years ago

I got the Onkyo HT-S780 7.1 system (top rated by Consumer Reports) last year for around $420 last year at Circuit City and it's a fine starter system . I've seen this year's model 790 going for $399 . Only gripe I've had was the weak bottom firing subwoofer which I remedied with a new Polk PSW-10 sub for $97 at Electronics Expo . It's half the size of the Onkyo sub and fairly puts it to shame shaking the knick-knacks on the shelves at 1/3 volume . So if you don't think the bass is enough it's a fairly cheap fix . I say go with Onkyo,you won't be disappointed .

• jtwtech
    17 years ago

nine7xbam, I also have the Onkyo HT-S780 and I'm happy with it as well. The reason I went for 7.1 is that my room is big. As Steve o said there's not much media produced in 7.1 sound, but with a DVD in 5.1 format, the rear speakers reproduce the side speakes, so it really helps out in a big room.

I agree with the sub, it hits fairly good, but not as well as it should, also their are certain frequencies that it will cause it to distort.

Pretty good system for the $$$.

I'll have to look into that Polk sub.

• nine7xbam
    17 years ago

CNET gives the Polk PSW10 a good review , but also says it's best suited for small to moderate (my room is roughly 20'x 14') rooms and recommends the PSW12 (which was $100 more at Electronics Expo) for larger rooms which sounds more like your situation . Really all I wanted was more bass at lower listening levels ,especially since today's receivers don't have that loudness button/switch the older versions had which enhanced bass response at lower listening levels . Maybe I'm just an old fart in my mid 40s , but for me listening to music in a vehicle or home nothing still beats a good two channel receiver putting out clear power with a loudness feature connected to a good pair of speakers , too bad they don't make them like that anymore . Below is a link for the review of the PSW10 , good luck in whatever you decide to get .

Here is a link that might be useful: PSW10 Review