Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving DVR Recordings

Posted by ctghost (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 08 at 21:32

Is there a way to copy/save programs recorded on my cable tv provided DVR? How might I do it if you think I can?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving DVR Recordings

hook the DVR output to your DVD recorder or VCR input and play the show recording as you watch. you can't usually record it without watching it. some combos of DVR and DVDR/VCR do not play well together either.

o

It's very technologically possible, but TV production companies, cable companies etc. would prefer consumers not be able to easily make/trade digital copies of shows. Since most people's DVR comes from their cable/satellite company the manufacturers "allegiance" (via profit motive) lies with the purchaser (cable company) not the end user. Consumers haven't demanded it so there we are.

I have one after market DVR/DVD burner. I can copy programs recorded on the DVR onto DVD, but only as analog, not digital. (Okay it's digital, converted to analog and back to digital). Digital to digital would result in no signal loss.

I think using a computer as your DVR may have the most flexibility at this point. I hope someone else out there has some ideas...

- Jim

o

If you have Tivo, you can use software to do it. On the Mac, it's Roxio's Toast. It will download any non-copyright protected recordings to your Mac. There's similar software for the PC.

o

My DVR has analog outputs that I can patch into a VCR and record. You'll need to choose the 'Copy to VCR' option on the DVR's playback menu. (If you have such a choice). Otherwise, I've patched the analog outputs from the DVR into my computer (via Roxio's DVC-90 bridge) and then copy the recording from my hard-drive onto a DVD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here