Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For 16 x 22 ft rooms, are 4 6' ceiling speakers good enough?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 12 at 19:48

my husband ordered 9" ones and i'm afraid it will look horrible on our smooth ceiling with ornate historic looking plaster medallions and cornices. this seems huge and obtrusive. i found these covers, but this large size seems like it will look ugly. any thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: speaker grilles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For 16 x 22 ft rooms, are 4 6' ceiling speakers good enough?

While you don't say if these are for music or home theater use, they do appear a little large for either use - it's not that big of a room. While 9 inches sounds good, they're better suited over a dance floor.

Generally, 6 inch coaxial speakers, backed up by a sub-woofer, are fine for music in the ceiling and home theater in the walls.

Usually, you can just use the grills that come with the speakers and paint them to match the surface.

o

The actual speakers are 6", but the part that is visible (I guess it's the casing or housing) is 9.5" and that's the size that will be on the ceiling. This seems large, right? thanks.

o

Large is in the eye of the beholder. As a sound geek, all I can say is, you should see my speakers. :-p

Seriously though, if you want good sound it is very unlikely you will be able to make the equipment completely disappear.

o

I have a room with 4 6' (with covers, about 9") ceiling speakers in a 18' by 25' room; for tv watching, it is good enough.
Upstairs, I have 4 ceiling speakers in an area of about 20' by 28'; it's a kitchen/family room (quite open actually) and it is also good enough. Of course, the other room ceiling speakers can back the kitchen area up if need be and I've never had to do this for loudness (a 20 watt/channel amplifier).

o

Yes it is quite enough

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here