Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speakers -- worth it to repair?

Posted by nancy4birds (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 19:21

Our stereo speakers started sounding bad a while back so we took them in to see if they could be repaired. Evidently the subwoofer has a tear plus a few other things to be repaired. He said he could repair all 3 speakers for $250. Is it worth it? We paid about $1100 for the 3 speakers originally in 1991. Here are the specs:

(1) Infinity SSW-10 Servo Subwoofer
(2) Infinity Infinitesimal IV speakers

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. --Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speakers -- worth it to repair?

You might look in your local phone book to see if there's a do-it-yourself speaker shop in the area; or seach the internet for replacement drivers. These are the actual speakers within the speaker cabinet. If you can order them and are reasonably handy, it's not too hard to replace them. I have some older Infinity speakers (1981?), and I just had to have the foam rings on the woofers replaced several years ago. (I took the woofers out of the cabinets and brought them to the shop.) It was certainly worth it to me as I like the speakers, and they still sound great. You might look around at new speakers and see if you hear anything you like better, for close to the repair price.

o
RE: Speakers -- worth it to repair?

If you are real handy, you can do an internet search and get foam edge repair kits at a very reasonable price compared to new speakers. They even include instructions on doing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here