Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaker placement for 5.1 surround. Recessed okay?

Posted by jarvinen (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 15:02

I'm about to frame in the basement wall where my home theater system will be mounted. I was thinking about framing a double wall so I can have a recessed TV. Would having recessed front speakers and subwoofer be okay? Or would that affect sound quality?

Also, my left/right speakers of my 5.1 system would be best placed above head level on the walls. Is this okay for sound quality?

Thanks.

Joel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaker placement for 5.1 surround. Recessed okay?

Most major brand televisions will, or at least used to, list requirements for recessed in-wall mounting. That would include the space needed above, below, and on the sides of the television for proper ventilation.

As far as speakers, the center can be wall mounted just below the screen and the FL & FR mounted at ear level height to the left & right of the screen on the front wall. You may have to do some trial & error on insulation behind the speakers for best sound quality. You may also wish to purchase FL & FR speakers with an adjustable internal mount for the speakers themselves to optimize direction.

For the sub-woofer, a doghouse type opening often works better where the sub sits on the floor directly and eliminates vibrations and rattles in the wall.

The rears should mount about 2-3 feet above ear level on the back wall near the corners. Again, adjustable wall mount speakers are helpful here as well.

Remember 5.1 speaker placement is very directional and is meant to bring the proper imaging to the viewer as was intended in the audio mix of the movie.

o
RE: Speaker placement for 5.1 surround. Recessed okay?

Having your left and right speakers recessed or wall mounted will affect sound staging and the imaging.

Have the level of the tweeters at seated ear level (about 40" off of the floor).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here