Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding ceiling speakers

Posted by Janice742 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 14:02

We are considering installing speakers in our family room and dining room.

Our family room is not conducive to surround sound/home theater -- lots of windows and open space.

We have a two-story home.

Can the speakers be installed with minimal damage to walls/ceilings? Will we have to repaint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding ceiling speakers

without seeing pictures or knowing the details of your construction (plaster, drywall, etc) makes it somewhat difficult to assess.

Howver, the process should be similar to installing a hi-hat/recessed light in your house, except instead of running electrical wire back to your house's panel for a light, you would instead run speaker wire from the area that sources your sound, typically a home theater receiver/audio receiver to the in wall/ceiling speaker.

Hope that gets you started :) There are also other wireless solutions out there like Sonos if you don't want to start cutting holes everywhere.

o

I looked into Sonos - but just don't like the idea of having to plug things in and find space for the unit. I know they are small, but we really want to avoid that.

We already of recessed lighting in the family room -- will this make things easier for the install?

o

No, the fact that you have recessed lights doesn't help you acheive audio any quicker or easier, unless you use these interesting sound light bulbs, though i've never used them myself. (http://www.amazon.com/GiiNii-AudioBulb-Wireless-Expandable-system/dp/B005HXLJMI)

The recessed lighting example was to illustrate a similar amount of labor necessary and to point out that you'll need a single place to run your wires back to that will control your sources. A company like Niles Audio is one of the most respected in whole house audio, so you might want to look at their website for some ideas.

o

OK -- thanks so much.

o

If you do put them in the ceiling (and perhaps the walls) make sure to get Dynabox rubber sound boxes to dampen the noise.
Prior to this remodel we had installed ceiling speakers and the reverberation upstairs from the surround sound was occasionally jarring and certainly annoying.
This time around we had better information and perhaps just newer technology. The rubber boxes (inserted into the ceiling before the speaker) work well and make it a much more pleasant environment when the TV is on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynabox

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here