Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here's a Blu-Ray fact they don't tell you

Posted by sombreuil_mongrel (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 11:47

I have learned that not all BluRay discs are playable in all BluRay players. Since the technology is still under development, and new "features" get added to enhance viewing enjoyment, players often are unable to read the disc properly.
My BluRay player requires "firmware" updates loaded via a thumb drive. The time between when a disc is released and when the manufacturer (sharp, in my case) comes up with a fix to enable it to be played, can be several months.
Ain't technology great?
Casey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here's a Blu-Ray fact they don't tell you

I have a Sony and have not had a problem with playing any disks.It can recieve firmware updates by hooking it up to the internet.Or Sony will send a disk in the mail.I ordered the disk rather then dealing with running a ethernet cable to the Player.No charge not even shipping charges for the disk.It worked with every disk I tried but I went ahead and installed the update.

My only complaint with Blu-ray is the lack of movies and the higher cost.

o
RE: Here's a Blu-Ray fact they don't tell you

Only older Blu Ray players that are 1.3 and not 2.0 need to be updated. Most current 2009 models are already 2.0 and will be coming out in April-June timeframe. CES has several articles about this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here