Return to the Home Entertainment Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cable box/tv over fireplace question-including pix.

Posted by loribee (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 9:57

DH mounted our tv over the fireplace yesterday which I'm fine with, except for the cable box. I feel like the cable box ruins our whole room. Is there an easy fix for this? I tried googling and read about an IR repeater, which I just don't understand. Thanks for any help that you may offer.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cable box/tv over fireplace question-including pix.

Ah, come on now, you don't like the sports-bar look?!

You simply need to select a location for the equipment, whether viewable or hidden, that has AC power and where you can fish the A/V cables through the wall back up to the television.

You then install an IR repeater, or also sometimes called an extender, which consists of an IR receiver, small interface box, power supply, and IR emitters.

The IR receiver is typically placed discretely near, or just behind, the television and the emitters are placed in front of the equipment. The interface box/power supply are also connected at the equipment end.

The wiring for the IR receiver is fished along the same path as the A/V cables.

Now when watching television, and you inherently point the remote at the television to change channels, the IR signal is transmitted over the wiring, through the interface box, and to the emitters, and you have full control of your cable box, DVD player, etc.

Neat, clean, and sweet!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Entertainment Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here