Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Periodontist Question - AM I crazy or is he?

Posted by colorcrazy (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 22:32

For six years, I went to a periodontist who did everything - cleaning deep scaling, filling cavities, etc. He was the sweetest man and had a wonderful staff. Dr. Jack died of cancer last spring and I'm not crazy about the dentist who took over his practice.

So this morning I went to a new periodontist near my office. The xray machine was broken and they did not tell me when I came in. then he starts checking my gums with his assistant recording it on the chart. You know - 1,2,3,2,2,3,4,5,2, etc. Get this - he never noticed that I was missing four teeth, so his assistant had recorded the numbers for the wrong teeth. (I had four teeth pulled as a teen when I got braces. My teeth were literally too big for my mouth.) There is no visible gap because of the braces.

Then he says he is shocked that no one recommended removing my wisdom teeth. I am 62 years old - will be 63 next month and no one has ever suggested this.

The last straw was that he did not clean my teeth and suggested instead that I come back for Scaling and Root Planing, and adding an expensive antibiotic. ($3K per side, which the insurance would likely cover.)

After I left, I realized that he seemed more like a slick salesman than a healer. Please let me know if I am being too suspicious or if you think he sounds unscrupulous.

What do you think? Should I shop around?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Periodontist Question - AM I crazy or is he?

Definitely get a second opinion, for any major surgery you should seek more than one opinion. Good luck!

o

Been there done that, I talked to my neighbor about it and she recommended hers. He was great.

o

Very definite look for a new one. First, the teeth need to be x rayed and do you really need a periodontist all the time?? Most people don't. Ask other people, your doctor, a nurse you know and trust, and check them out with your dental association.

o

You are right Mariend, I don't need one all the time. I stayed with the last one because he did everything, was close, reasonable, nice, great staff, etc,

But now I do need one. Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

o

Don't let him come near your teeth anymore!!!

o

Our current dentist has become more of a saleswoman than ever, mostly with DH. I'm at the point that I only get cleanings and X-rays from her, I go to the university for anything else. She is just too expensive. DH's whole family used to see the dentist she took over from, we are the only ones left that see her.
She was getting DH for antibiotic treatments for a long time & I didn't know, it was $300 out of pocket every time. I wondered why his appointments took 2 hours.
I would shop around, I know I'm ready to find a new dentist now, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here