SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherwoodva

Periodontist Question - AM I crazy or is he?

sherwoodva
13 years ago

For six years, I went to a periodontist who did everything - cleaning deep scaling, filling cavities, etc. He was the sweetest man and had a wonderful staff. Dr. Jack died of cancer last spring and I'm not crazy about the dentist who took over his practice.

So this morning I went to a new periodontist near my office. The xray machine was broken and they did not tell me when I came in. then he starts checking my gums with his assistant recording it on the chart. You know - 1,2,3,2,2,3,4,5,2, etc. Get this - he never noticed that I was missing four teeth, so his assistant had recorded the numbers for the wrong teeth. (I had four teeth pulled as a teen when I got braces. My teeth were literally too big for my mouth.) There is no visible gap because of the braces.

Then he says he is shocked that no one recommended removing my wisdom teeth. I am 62 years old - will be 63 next month and no one has ever suggested this.

The last straw was that he did not clean my teeth and suggested instead that I come back for Scaling and Root Planing, and adding an expensive antibiotic. ($3K per side, which the insurance would likely cover.)

After I left, I realized that he seemed more like a slick salesman than a healer. Please let me know if I am being too suspicious or if you think he sounds unscrupulous.

What do you think? Should I shop around?

Comments (6)

Sponsored