Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citalopram for Depression

Posted by dexx215 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 25, 05 at 20:55

I have just been prescribed Citalopram (Cilexa) 20mg for depression. Anybody else take this drug? After where it says "20 mg" it says (Base Equiv). Does this just mean it's a generic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citalopram for Depression

Citalopram is the generic for Celexa. I don't take it, so I am not familiar with it, but here is a link to Celexa information.

o

"base equivelant" is just a way of measuring the dose of active ingredient. Say, for example, you were talking about salt (sodium chloride) but only cared about how much sodium you were getting. You could either express the dose as the total weight of the sodium chloride, or as just the weight of the sodium part. Base equivalent is if they are only talking about the sodium part. Or, in your case, the drug part. It is just a description of the dosage measurement, it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it is generic.

o

I have been on Celexa for 5 years now, I was taking 40 mg but as time went on I got down to 20 mg and this summer decided to try to get off them. I cut back but after 4 or 5 days I realized I souldn't have and I am still off work. I just created problems for myslef and I am back up to 40 mg and I am back to pushing myself to get out of bed and do something. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
Val

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here