Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coronary bypass surgery

Posted by irislover7b (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 05 at 20:37

My best friend just had quadruple bypass surgery this morning (Monday), and thankfully it went well. He went to the ER Friday with chest pain, and was having a heart attack. The doctor said he'd had one the previous day and one earlier Friday, also. He's 54, a smoker with high cholesterol and (previously) untreated high blood pressure. Otherwise he was in good health, except for a kidney stone that hasn't bothered him lately. His sister lives next door to him, and his parents (in their 80's and somewhat feeble)live with him, so he'll have help close by when he gets home. Of course, we all want him to not pick up another cigarette, but he said yesterday that he didn't know if he wanted to quit. I know his family is going to nag him, so I'm going to try not to. I also don't know how well he'll do with his diet (we're in the South, so we're accustomed to eating a lot of fattening fried foods and shortening-laden biscuits), but he already had been trying go to light on the salt, because of his blood pressure. Does anyone have any advice or experience dealing with a loved one who has undergone this surgery? I've found information on the internet that says to expect pain, weakness, depression, mood swings, etc., but I really would like to know what I can do to help him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coronary bypass surgery

It's hard to say. So much will depend on his willingness to help himself. Whoever does the cooking in the house will be the one to control most of the salt intake. The salt shaker has to stay in the cabinet. No buying potato chips or salsa. No high salt frozen dinners or pizza either. Frankly, if I were a heavy smoker and enjoyed it, I don't know if I would be interested in giving it up either. sometimes the pleasures of the day outweigh the possibilities of a shortened life span.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here