Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold? What?

Posted by brer (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 27, 06 at 20:01

Whenever my grown children come home for the holidays, they get sniffy noses, stuffed up sinuses, and sometimes headaches and scratchy throats. We think it must be allergies to the house. But what?

Who do I have come check out the house? Could it be mold? How do I know without ripping the house apart? What agency would I call?

And, maybe since we live near a lake, could it be inevitable and un-fixable? And is this going to cost more than the house is worth. I'm already hyperventelating!

Help!!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold? What?

Dear Brer,

I called the Health Department and they checked the house for mold. I have been told that their method of inspection is not thorough and that there are services out there who can do a more detailed investigation. The Health Dept. may be a place to start and possibly research the internet.

We moved to an older home and I began to have rashes on my neck and itching eyes. The doctor immediately thought, "mold". My symptoms have lessened, but we live in an area that is notorious for moisture.

Good luck to you.

o

Is it possible that they have that "let down" effect some people get with time off, and their immune systems just allow them to get sick? Plus, in their travels to your house, they probably come in contact with lots of new germs. I wouldn't just assume its from your house.
Were they ever like this on vacations when they were younger? How do they get to your house.......car? airplane?

o

Do you have things like scented candles around? Or do you use any kind of deodorising sprays? Carpet cleaners? There are a lot of things that could be in your home that upset people that aren't used to them.

And yes, it could be mold. Check out all the other things too. It could even be something simple like old feather cushions on the sofa.

o

Maybe try replacing your air filters on your a/c-furnace with one of the premium $15 3M Filtrete pleated filters for allergies/dust/mold.

If that helps maybe then you might look into adding some portable hepa filters for each room too.

I take care of my elderly dad whom has some breathing difficulties. Adding a dehumidifier keeping humidity at 50% and then added air filtering. Both helped him with his breathing instantly. And I've noticed I sleep sounder and get the sniffles temporally now a few minutes after I walk out the door.

o

It could be so many things, such as dust mites in pillows. Guest room pillows tend to get old and should be replaced with hypoallergenic ones. I would start there. Do they get symptoms as soon as they come into the house or after they wake up the next morning??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here