Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Losing weight

Posted by flowergirl70ks (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 19:04

My husband passed away a year ago in June. I have been steadily losing weight since then, I now weigh 130, I have lost 28 lbs, and can't seem to gain any back. I'm rather tall, and look like a skeleton. Any ideas for gaining weight? I do eat 3 meals a day and snacks, but nothing happens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Losing weight

My DH passed away years ago & I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks & didn't want to eat, I had to force myself & was able to keep from losing more weight. I was in early 40's. Is it hard to get the meals down? or eat the snacks? If not you probably should try to eat a little more with 1 or 2 meals. You can take things like Ensure but there is lot of stuff in it(kind of liquid vitamin pill). Nuts are healthy & fattening! Might try some of those with some dried fruit mixed in. If you force yourself to eat then you are fighting anorexia as that was what happened to me, I even called in to a radio show as they were discussing it. I had no desire to be a size 3 but food just made he feel sick. I think the shock of losing my wonderful hubby caused a chemical reaction in my body.Radio people said they hadn't heard of that but thought it very well might have caused it. It took a couple of months of trying to lose every meal until it stopped. I had never been 1 to diet & my weight didn't change much. After a baby I simply cut back on food portions & exercised more to lose the weight. But it was scarey to look in mirror& think,"oh, you look so thin & then I'd say out loud-are you kidding you are skin & bones-90 lbs is not healthy-go eat! Are you getting out & seeing friends & trying to get on with life? That makes a big difference if you have friends to talk to & family. Have you had a physical or blood work done to see if something else is going on, if not you should as stress often can make people ill. Hope some others come on with other suggestions.

o

Sorry about your loss.

You are most likely eating what you want instead of full meals. When I put my husband in a care home, I lost weight simply because I was eating for me. I ate what I wanted when I want it. I didn't cook meals anymore. I ate one meal a day at a restaurant, then a bowl of cereal or cheese and crackers, popcorn, etc. at bedtime. On weekends I fixed a late breakfast and had a sandwich in the evening.

130 lbs would suit me just fine.

o

I do cook because my grandson lives with me and goes to college here. I run a coin laundry, get up at 7:00 and go to work, so I am around people. I am 78, but even my Dr wanted to see my birth certificate. I will have to confess in the summer when I'm working in my garden, we sometimes only have a sandwich, but I have a bowl of ice cream every night. I'm just tired of looking in the mirror and seeing that wrinkled old lady.I just had my 6 month heart physical(heart attack in 2001) and other than the occasional ache or pain, I am healthy. I don't feel stressed, but the Dr says I must be.Thanks for the replies.

o

You will feel the difference with quality specially formulated to increase energy, health and weight: Essential Greens, Energy Probiotic Defense, Energy Q10, Cold-processed Organic Energy Food Bars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue green algae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here