Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Sinus Rinse

Posted by donna_loomis (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 07 at 18:18

I will preface this by saying that I have had hayfever/allergies all of my life and was diagnosed with asthma about 5 years ago. I have a couple of inhalers, but I just hate the idea of being dependent on them, especially because one of them is a steroid based inhaler. On the other hand, I really enjoy breathing, LOL.

You can stop reading here if you don't want to talk about yucky stuff (my friends and family think it's yucky).

A couple of weeks ago I got an ad in the mail from a new store in our area called Elephant Pharm. Something called a Neti Pot caught my eye and caused me to do a little web search. Apparently it's not something new, but centuries old, but I had never heard about it. Kind of looks like a little teapot and holds about 8 ounces of water (you add salt to the water). I even found a demonstration on YouTube.

The idea is that your sinuses are a filter for the air you breathe and lots of yucky stuff ends up in them. You lean forward over the sink and warm salt water is poured into one nostril, circulates through your sinuses and exits the other nostril, clearing them of dust, pollen and bacteria. I convinced myself that I wanted to give this a try and found one at a local drugstore. But right next to the Neti Pots were another type of sinus rinse using a squeeze bottle. I ended up buying that one. I've made it a part of my morning routine I am amazed at the difference I feel.

I'm wondering how this has been around for so long and I never heard of it. Have any of you heard of sinus rinsing? Do any of you do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Sinus Rinse

Our school secretary just tried and said it was tremendously helpful when she had terrible head congestion and a cold that just hung on. I also saw the pots at Whole Foods. I have never tried it, but it might help.

RE: Sinus Rinse

I used a similar contraption that my allergist gave me to help clear me out. I've got to be the only person that has had a bad side effect from using it. About two weeks after daily use, I developed the worst sinus infection of my life. I think the contraption actually caused the bacteria/virus to spread to areas of my sinus cavity that normally would have been spared. For me, it didn't clean out the bacteria just spread it around at least that's what I think happened. I get sinus infections with face pain often, but I have never been in so much sinus/face pain in my life. I woke up in tears and wanted to rip my face off. Obviously, it could have been just one heck of a coincidence... but I have never gone back to using it.

RE: Sinus Rinse

I've been doing nasal irrigation for about eight years. For me, it works better than any pill or decongestant spray, and I no longer use them. When I do need to spray, I just use a saline spray. Washing all that garbage and bacteria from my sinuses relieves the pressure and lets me heal much faster.

I don't have a Neti Pot, I just snort up the solution from a spoon. I've got a couple of those sinus rinse kits, but haven't tried them yet.

RE: Sinus Rinse

Oprah just had a show where a doctor(?) explained them. They had a person from the audience demonstrate the use over a bucket while we all watched. (Eeeeew.)

Supposedly if one does the netti pot daily you can stop taking all the meds for allergies and sinus problems.

I would be afraid to try one, and worried about just what Carla35 said happened to her.

Supposedly using a netti pot is a daily routine in some counties just like brushing and flossing.

RE: Sinus Rinse

I bought something similiar several years ago, called a nasal douche. I have stuffiness/allergies all the time and will get terrible sinus headaches. You have to get used to using it, not tip your head back as the directions say but to the side and slightly back as the person did on Oprah. I don't use mine all the time but when I feel the tenderness or have a headache that won't go away with one Tyneol, I use it for a few days and it does help.

You have to be careful - the concentration of salt in the water is important. If you don't use enough or any then you dry out your nasal passages and you can end up with another infection. Too much and it burns really bad when you use it.

I think it is a useful product when done right. I have seen the kits and that is now what my allergy doctor recommends since it has the correct % of salt, but they are expensive to my thinking.

Carla - maybe you did push your infection back up further. Did you hold you head back or to the side.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here