SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Sinus Rinse

donna_loomis
16 years ago

I will preface this by saying that I have had hayfever/allergies all of my life and was diagnosed with asthma about 5 years ago. I have a couple of inhalers, but I just hate the idea of being dependent on them, especially because one of them is a steroid based inhaler. On the other hand, I really enjoy breathing, LOL.

You can stop reading here if you don't want to talk about yucky stuff (my friends and family think it's yucky).

A couple of weeks ago I got an ad in the mail from a new store in our area called Elephant Pharm. Something called a Neti Pot caught my eye and caused me to do a little web search. Apparently it's not something new, but centuries old, but I had never heard about it. Kind of looks like a little teapot and holds about 8 ounces of water (you add salt to the water). I even found a demonstration on YouTube.

The idea is that your sinuses are a filter for the air you breathe and lots of yucky stuff ends up in them. You lean forward over the sink and warm salt water is poured into one nostril, circulates through your sinuses and exits the other nostril, clearing them of dust, pollen and bacteria. I convinced myself that I wanted to give this a try and found one at a local drugstore. But right next to the Neti Pots were another type of sinus rinse using a squeeze bottle. I ended up buying that one. I've made it a part of my morning routine I am amazed at the difference I feel.

I'm wondering how this has been around for so long and I never heard of it. Have any of you heard of sinus rinsing? Do any of you do it?

Comments (5)

Sponsored