SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tree_oracle

Anyone have sleep apnea?

tree_oracle
18 years ago

I finally found out a few days ago why I have felt like crap for the last twenty years of my life. I have sleep apnea. I recently had a sleep study and I stop breathing around 25 times per hour. Assuming each apnea lasts around 15 seconds, I'm not breathing for close to an hour each night! I've had sleep problems for a very long time. My sleep was often disturbed and I never wake up feeling refreshed. I've had hypertension for the last twenty years that has been difficult to control. It's gotten so bad this year that it led to visits with various doctors who finally pointed me in the direction of a sleep clinic. I'm excited about finally determining the cause of my problems. I'm also excited about the prospects of not feeling ill and fatigued all of the time. However, I have some reservations about the "cure" for sleep apnea namely the Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to tolerate the mask everynight. Seems like it would keep me awake. Is anyone here using a CPAP machine? Can you give me some feedback on what kind of CPAP machine and mask that you use, and how well you are doing on the treatment. Also, is anyone using the oral version of a CPAP machine (called an OPAP)? Thanks.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz