Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HEY! Calling all Quitters

Posted by Pam_SewsAlot (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 30, 04 at 16:31

Is anyone gonna give up the ole smokes for their resolution this year? I did last year. And I'm proud to say I am a quitter now. It will be one year on Jan. 7. I was shocked when I checked on my silkquit meter. I have saved $2,174.00(however, I can't figure out where it is.) And I have "not" smoked 10,740 cigaretts. WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

Pam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HEY! Calling all Quitters

Congratulations Pam, you should be very proud!!!! I am on day 12 of no cigs...........reason is I had a Heart attack 12 days ago at the age of 48, that was more than enough to make me quit!!

o

Oh Wendy77, You just hang in there kid-O. I sure hope you are doing okay. You have so much to look forward to. And believe me, it is so much better not having to be dependent on a cig.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, or if ya just need to vent...I drop in here daily, so give me a hollar!!

Pam.

o

Hi Pam, I was just thinking about you the other day and knew you should be 1 year smoke free. Congratulations !!!!
I knew you could do it. March 16 will be 2 years for me. Keep up the good work and I am glad to hear that it is your anniversary. Pam

o
RE: HEY! Calling all Quitters (Wendy).

You can do it Wendy. Both of us Pam's did it. It's hard but be positive and you will feel so much better. Congratulations on your decision to be a "former" smoker.

o

Thanks Pam"s, I am still smoke-free.............kinda hard, but I have to do it!!!

o

Hi Pam!!

I remember thinking back a year ago when you said it was almost a year for your not smoking. I thought Oh Man, I want it to be a year for me. It seemed so far away. But guess what?? I MADE IT! And it feels so good. I feel better now than I have ever felt. I eat right, drink lot's of water everyday, exercise daily, I have even walked the Wabash Heritage Trail, walked a 3.5 mile Hunger Hike, and have been in many walk-a-thon's.

Wendy77 it is kinda hard at first, but believe me it really does get better. Just one day at a time. Before you know it it will be a year for you too.

Pam.(in Indiana)

o

I've been on these forums for some time and just found this particular one...wondered why there wasn't a Health forum. some times you just have to get bored enough to go poking around. LOL

I'm a "quitter" too...as of July 1973...how's that for dating oneself? "One-day-at-a-time" can really add up. I quit for about three reasons at the time.

1. That was about when the Surgeon General announced the "proven" link between smoking and lung cancer.

2. My 18 year old son was starting and I wanted to challenge him to a "bet your mom can quit sooner than you" contest. It did work, but took maybe 5 years for him.

3. My DH's youngest brother dropped dead at 44 in his front yard.

It wasn't until after that I discovered how bad cigarette smoke smelled and that food could taste much better. My DH quit in 1958...neither of us found it particularly hard to do. I would like to say that I believe it is much harder for some than for others, and I have no explanation for that. No matter how hard you think it is...go for it. Time does catch up with us...don't ask me where the last 25 years went... I am in shock thinking about it.

o

I didn't see this thread till after I posted a message on the "smoking" thread on this page.

I too am a proud "quitter" 18 days today. I quit Jan 1. Congrats to you too for kicking the habit as well. It's a hard habit to break. Just seeing how happy my family and friends are that I quit, will keep me going.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smoking

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here