SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbkidd_gw

Empty Nest Syndrome

jbkidd
17 years ago

I have 2 daughters ages 23 and 25. Two years ago my older left home and got her own apartment, she has a good job and works as a nurse. When she left home I felt good about it, she moved just a few miles from me and we talk everyday. My younger daughter just graduated from University as a geologist. She worked all summer in Mongolia and has now been offered at the companies main office at the other end of the country.

I am just totally devastated, I feel like I have lost a limb. When you move that far away I realize that our relationship will change dramatically over the next few years. Distance makes you grow apart. Oh, I know there are the phone calls, e-mails webcams, but it is not the same.

As the girls were growing up I always felt I would enjoy the day they would leave home but now I am longing for the good old days when they were young and we were all together. It is like losing half of your life.

I have a friend whose 2 daughters moved across country and today she hardly knows her grandchildren. It seems ashame that the family unit doesn't exist anymore.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings, I would enjoy some coping skills on this.

Comments (7)

Sponsored