SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Chronic tonsillitis after mono?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

My almost 20 year old daughter had mono about 2 years ago. She had a bad strep infection at that time too (which was treated). I took her to my ENT doc and he said that once the tonsils get attacked, to the extent that her's were attacked, they need to come out. Well, I chose a more conservative "wait and see" approach. For almost a year and a half, she didn't have any problems. But now, she's getting more sore throats, with 1 or both tonsils inflamed (with white spots), and swollen neck nodes. She's only been treated once this year with antibiotics, and I definitely don't want to increase that to much more.

I'm into more holistic thinking than just whack something out. I'm trying to figure out what might help her to avoid these episodes. She's very stressed at college, with a very intense schedule. I'm also trying to make her understand how important it is to clean her musical instrument's mouthpiece every day......which she isn't doing. She takes vitamins (C, zinc,) and some other supplements to help her through the more stressful times.

She also has intermittant canker sores. I'm trying to get her to take more B vitamins too.

I know that the Epstein-Barr virus can cause chronic problems.

She also has noticed that her immune system seems to crash during ovulation.

So....besides just surgically having her tonsils removed, do any of you have any "alternative" suggestions to keep these infected tonsil episodes away? I'm thinking her immune system needs some boosting, but I'm not sure how to do it.

She's a very healthy eater. She has also learned that she needs a good amount of sleep, and she gets regular exercise. Does anyone else have more suggestions that might help her? Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x