Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chronic Fatigued

Posted by elef (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 10:45

I have been told that my tiredness is because I have chronic fatigue. I had never even heard of it before that and they told me that there is only a few medications for it. I asked if there was anything I could do on my own to help with it and all he said was get plenty of sleep and exercise. Well it is hard to exercise when i am so tired and how much am I suppose to sleep to feel better. I wonder if anyone knows of something that is natural to help give me energy and make me feel better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chronic Fatigued

This link should be very helpful for starters,
chronic fatigue syndrome http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/health/msg020028137218.html

o

Here is a link.

Ok, I hate to give advice and of course listen to your doctor but...

Try to get your sleep regulated and into a real pattern. I truly think a sleep problem/ deep sleep deprivation is at the root of many CFS cases. Sometimes naps are a necessity, but sometimes they can just throw off your night time sleep. Try to skip napping and see if you are sleeping/ feeling better in the long run.

Don't over do it with the exercise.... You know your body; is exercise helping or hurting you ... and I don't mean just intolerance.. I mean how well do you feel after you exercise? Don't over do it if you aren't feeling well. Read the link below for more info on exercise.

Eat well and stay away from alchohol. If you have CFS it will probably only make you feel worse.

Each case is so individualized so it's hard to give too much specific advice. If you could find a really good doctor that knows a lot about CFS, I would think that would be your best bet. There really are some doctors that understand (and believe in) the disease more than others. Doctors that know nothing or little of the disease or don't believe you, are your biggest enemy!

I recommend a documentary/movie that I mentioned on the other thread called "I Remember Me" (directed by Kim Synder). IMHO it is a must watch for anyone (and their families) suffering from CFS. It's well worth the price to buy it if you can't find it for rent.

Good luck and know that you are not alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: CFS

o

Did they test your iron levels? Mine were quite low and it was making me feel tired and worn out all the time. I now take an iron supplement daily and I can really tell the difference! This may be totally not applicable to you, but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case.

Good luck!

o

I second the question about your iron. Make sure you're not anemic. I've battled with anemia for a few years. I can tell when it's low by how tired I am.

o

Chronic fatigue often goes along with fibromyalgia. I have both. I am lucky that my chronic fatigue is not so bad that I can't function. I can't work a full day and so I am retired, but I am pretty active and exercise every day. Over the last 3 years I have built up my strength and now I exercise for over an hour a day, starting with 30 minutes on the treadmill, but I didn't get there overnight. It is also crucial for me to take muscle relaxants. The Cyclobenzaprine is only about 3 cents per pill and is only available by prescription.

You don't say how old you are. If you are still having periods then I agree that you should have your iron levels tested. I was chronically short of iron. I had really heavy periods and the iron just bled away every month.

o

Getting your Iron checked is a good idea, I had my checked and it was rather low. I started taking Iron supplements and it helped some but I still needed more help than that. I looked for other supplements that would give me more energy without caffeine. I have ordered a product called activive and I have been taking it for about a two weeks now. I have not noticed much difference, just slight increase in energy. I am hoping that this increase will continue. Sometimes it is a combination of supplements that will help. I have talked to my doctor and he recommends that you read each supplements ingredients and make sure you are not taking to much. You do want to be knowledgeable about what you are taking. Good Luck.

o

Another very good idea for CFS or FMS is to try the blood type diet. No, it's not a weight loss diet, just a list of foods which are good or bad for you according to your blood type. Doctors pooh-pooh it but it has helped me immensely. My pain levels dropped by about 75% and I received several other health benefits, like no more heartburn or gas, no more pesky little cough or post-nasal drip, stronger fingernails, better sleep, better mood. It costs nothing to try it.

I went "cold turkey" on it for a month. Then one by one I tried out the foods that I had most hated to give up, leaving at least 4-5 days between trying each one. In this way I learned exactly what each did to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food lists

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here