Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dizziness and sinus infection

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 6, 05 at 10:18

I've had a terrible post-nasal drip for the last 2 weeks. I started to get headaches, and I got a dizzy spell this morning (good thing I was sitting down). Is that all connected? I had taken Claritin-D, but it made me sleepy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dizziness and sinus infection

It is possible that all of these symptoms are related, depending on the source of the post-nasal drip. Potential sources include air-borne allergies, upper respiratory infections, influenza, acute or chronic sinusitis, or, less likely, a reaction to a toxic substance in your environment. If you have had this condition for two weeks and it is progressing to the point of having headaches and dizziness, I would advise you to check in with your primary care provider.

Sinusitis is particularly problematic and can become chronic if it is not treated or is treated incorrectly. Most cases of acute sinusitis are caused by failure of the normal mucus transport system or decreased sinus ventilation. The four paranasal sinuses of your face are connected by small openings called ostia. If they become obstructed or inflamed (leading to swelling and then obstruction) the sinuses do not drain properly, and the backed up secretions are an excellent media for a bacterial (or, less often, viral or fungal) infection. The pressure, pain, and inflammation in the sinuses can lead to headache and dizziness, but again this is only conjecture. A health care professional can do the necessary testing and diagnostic imaging, if necessary, to determine what the problem is in your situation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acute Sinusitis

o

It's possible that you have an infection that's bad enough to affect your ears. This would upset your balance. It's time to see your doctor. Claritin-D will not help to clear an infection. It's just for keeping down allergy problems. You may need an antibiotic or other medication. Ear infections can get to be unpleasant.
PB

o

Quercetin with vitamin C helps the sinuses. I use it for my allergies. I get the Natrol brand.

o

read what swanior said..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here