SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Adding Calories to Food

trianglejohn
17 years ago

Help! I need to pump up the food I am feeding my elderly father. I sneak butter and cream into things and I have even been known to melt ice cream and use in place of water or milk in recipes but because of his failing health he only eats tiny amounts of anything. Any ideas to boost the calories of food?

The story: I've discussed this in detail here before so here it is in a nutshell. Dad fell through the roof and broke his neck and back (lots of minor fractures). While recovering in the hosp he contracted multiple infections including staph which damaged the valve in his heart. After the bones healed he had to endure open heart surgery to replace the valve. While recovering from the surgery he contracted psuedomonas which damaged more organs (he is the poster boy for infections). He spent almost a year in the hospital. He is so sick of Ensure and Boost that he refuses to eat it - even if I blend it with ice cream and fruit jelly. He is also sick of pudding which I had to crush and mix his medication into while he was laying flat on his back waiting for the bones to heal.

The fall also damaged his throat so swallowing is difficult and he is a cranky patient. He never liked pills or medicine and has never been injured or hospitalized before (except once a long long time ago).

So, though this is all pretty futile, I am supposed to get a minimun of 2,400 calories into him each day. He is only awake about 5 hours each afternoon. He can only eat about a cup or so every hour and he has some medication that cannot be taken with food and some that cannot be taken with milk products. He has between 18 and 20 pills to take each day. He likes pie and does best after eating a piece. I'm wondering if there is a way to hide extra calories in pumpkin pie????

The worst part of all this is that I am supposed to be loosing weight!

Any advice?

Comments (10)

Sponsored