SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pawprint1

Anyone Quit Smoking?

Pawprint
20 years ago

I did, or am. 3 days in and need a support group!!

Comments (94)

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Patients! Since you didn't smoke 1 pack a day, it will take more than 21 minutes to show!
    But you saved 3 cents! That's wonderful!

You'll be fine!

• tnlady
    20 years ago

I quit smoking at 12:15 A.M today. I've been coming to these forums for 2 1/2 years and was sooooo glad to see you guys have a thread going!! I usually go to the Building and associated forums but will be back here regularly.

I have been sick with Thyroid probs too WEED - they are running tests and I get those tomorrow. Have pain in thyroid, terrible fatigue, shortness of breath, rapid heart beat, etc. I can't even work this week - YIKES!!

At any rate, the smoking was making it all worse so rather then smoke my middle-of-the-night cig I just looked at them and said, "I'm done." I've been wanting to for a while but DH smokes and I knew it would make it harder. But - I just HAVE to!!! He'll just have to go out in the cold - LOL!

Have smoked for 35 years stopping when pregnant and another time for about three years. But, I want to smell and taste again. I don't want to be ruled by such a dang nasty habit. I am 49 with a five-year-old ---- I need to be healthy for a LONG time! I want to be able to walk, run and climb again without huffing and puffing. I want white teeth!! Oh Lordy, there are tons more....

I'm going to go load the calculator. That's so cool! Will see you back today, tomorrow, and hopefully for a LONG, LONG time. Hey, I wonder if Spike would give us our own forum??!!

Congrats guys. Hang in there and be PROUD of yourselves!!

TNLady

• Related Discussions

Anyone Quit Smoking? Part 2

Q

Comments (111)
    I quit smoking on March 17 of this year. My husband had just been to his doctor 2 days before that and advised my husband for the umpteenth time to quit smoking. He's a diabetic with emphysema and COPD - he has told us numerous times what can happen to a diabetic smoker. So, I had been wanting to quit anyway and on the l7th I made my decision to quit that day and told my husband that it would be nice if he would try and quit too. So, he said he would give it a try and cut down on his smoking. We were just starting out on a spring road trip. From a pack and a half smoker a day, he went to smoking just a couple of cigarettes a day, with me nagging him all along. We were gone for 2 and a half weeks on that trip and he probably smoked one pack of cigarettes the whole time. Now, he still smokes but only occasionally. He's a social smoker so that makes it hard for him when we are in a social atmosphere, then he will break out the cigarettes and smoke. He started out pretty good, maybe smoking 3 cigarettes in one whole evening. But now he's got it up to maybe 10 or 12 (maybe more) and he says he's doing fine. I can see him getting drawn back into his old bad habits. Although, he doesn't smoke in the house or in our pickup, I am afraid that he will start up again. I haven't smoked since the 17th of March and to tell the truth I don't miss it a bit. I smoked for 30 years. I don't miss the stinky smell of stale butts anymore and I can truly say that I feel a whole lot better. Once in awhile I get an urge, but it quickly goes away. The benefits of NOT smoking, truly outweigh the pleasure of smoking. Now, I just need to keep working on him.
    ...See More

Help with quiting smoking

Q

Comments (21)
    I used the Chantix too! It was nothing next to a miracle. Chantix is a prescription drug (a pill) that your doctor can prescribe. A friend recommended it to me after she quit her habit of 30 + years. I started taking the Chantix pill and didn't even think about quitting smoking. I did smoke less without even thinking about it. On day 12 I was getting ready for bed and I realized, "hey, I didn't smoke at ALL today!" I can't tell you how great that felt. Each day after that I didn't smoke and it didn't seem like I was being deprived or white knuckeling it! I continued taking the pills for a few more weeks when I decided that I just wasn't going to smoke, pill or no pill anymore. It is now over 6 months for me. The prescription did cause me to have some really wacky dreams! It is a psychological drug, so I think if you are having depression or other mental issues it may not be for you. Someone commited suicide while on Chantix so they got a lot of bad publicity. But personally I feel that person PROBABLY had some underlying issues beforehand. I have recommeneded it to long time smokers without trying to be preachy (just because I'd like them to feel the power I feel by not being saddled by cigarettes!) Many of them said they would never put a prescription in their systerm to quit! Yet on a daily basis they are lighting up and putting known carcenogens into their body, so I figure they are just making an excuse. Ladyofdirt, if you are reading this and you still need a method to quit I would encourage you to try the Chantix. Best wishes to you!
    ...See More

My LG totally quit and was smoking!

Q

Comments (4)
    It was 5 years old in April. The warranty ran out in April. :( We haven't had any problems with it until this so I am not concerned about the product itself. I just bought an LG french door fridge so I am waiting to see how it does. We love it so far. There aren't many options in our little town.
    ...See More

10 wks pregnant. Having a hard time quitting smoking. Suggestions

Q

Comments (1)
    people like you should not be allowed to have babies.....smoking and pregnant......how dare you!
    ...See More
  • Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Good for you TNLady! Yes, there is a joke around my house now about the living longer thing. Since I quit, I've been...how do you say....btchy. And I've been told if I don't stop being that way I won't live to next year! ha ha!

Keep us up to date with your calculator counts!

And maybe if we got together and ALL put in a request to Spike, he might?

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I just posted to suggestions and comments forum to request a new quit smoking forum.
    Please feel free to add to that forum and request also!
    I think it's a great idea for us!

• tnlady
    20 years ago

I did! I did! Cross your fingers!!!

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Did you post under mine in the suggestions and comments? I don't see anything yet.
    It sure would be great though!

• tnlady
    20 years ago

I wrote Spike a "suggestion" email. He said to post about it in the suggestions forum (your and mine messages must have crossed). I didn't see your so posted one myself. I must be blind!!! Link is to mine. (sorry!!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Quitters forum suggestion

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

TNLady:
    I just posted to yours. I hope this works, like you said,
    it's a great idea as originally I posted about quitting
    smoking under the diet forum. Mainly because most smokers
    who quit gain weight. So I'll be in that forum anyway!

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

TNLady, sorry you are having thyroid problems too. Not fun!

6 hrs 28 min
    saved .66
    4 not smoked
    20 min life saved

With my luck, those 20 minutes are gonna be spent waiting in line at the DMV.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I hope your 20 minutes is spent somewhere else better than that!
    Good luck and let us know how tomorrow goes!

• wolflover
    20 years ago

I haven't checked in for a few days and am so happy to see how many more people are trying to quit smoking. That's great! We can all suffer, I mean CELEBRATE, together. LOL

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, Weed and TN Lady. I hope you are both feeling better soon. TN Lady, hopefully your husband will try to quit with you. I don't know if I could have made it with my DH smoking my brand around me. We both quit the same day, Nov. 21, but he has been nicotine free for over a month now and I am still using the Nicorette lozenges as a crutch. I will feel much better when I have totally weaned myself from the nicotine. I feel like I'm cheating by using the Nicorette, but I'm afraid that without it I would've caved in and smoked a cigarette by now. Friday will be seven weeks for me so I think that means over 1900 cigarettes not smoked. I was a two pack a day smoker, and smoked for 32 years. I can't say that I can tell any difference yet, but I wasn't yet having any health problems when I quit.

Good luck to everyone who is trying to quit. BTW, I signed the thread on the suggestions forum. Maybe we'll get a new forum if everyone signs it.

• tnlady
    20 years ago

Wolflover - don't feel guilty about the nicotine via mouth. That is 100 times better then the nic in your lungs along with the tar. I'm using the lozenges and wouldn't even try without them. Please just be sooo proud of yourself!! I don't even know you and I'm proud of you!!!

1 Day 8 hours 22 minutes
    $8.09 saved (I was two packs of carlton a day!!)
    53 not smoked
    4 hours 25 minutes of life saved

That last one really gets me when I think about it. Mother turns 90 the 22nd and is so spry and healthy, people literally do NOT believe she is 90 (we actually love to tell people when we go out so they'll freak out! - she gets a huge kick out of that). The women in her family of the previous generation lived to be in their 90's, so statistically (said the gerontologist) Mother should live past 100 -- putting MY potential ---- ???!!!!

I've probably lost some of that I'll never get back but I just keep telling myself what I've gained!!

Please everyone, go post in the suggestions forum to see if we can get Spike to start our own forum. As it is I'd like to start a new thread sharing Tips and Tricks we're using!!!

Stay Healthy out there today!!

TNLady

P.S. DH and I figured that we can do a 15 instead of 30 year mortgage on the upcoming house just by what I'll save!

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wow! You're going to quickly beat my numbers!
    How did you have time to smoke 2 packs a day?

• tnlady
    20 years ago

LOL - Carltons burn QUICK!!!! And then of course, you smoke more because you didn't get enough drug from that last one....!! Glad to be past that. Do notice today an automatic inclination to "grab" a cigarette that has nothing to do with physical withdrawal. Very weird. Trying to stay busy, busy, busy!!!!

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Yes, I'm over the Nicotine for 3 weeks now.
    I only used the patch for the first week and it didn't help either way.
    As you said above, my MAIN addiction was and will always be the HABIT.
    Driving is a pain now, because I always smoked and drove.
    OH, and I always had 3 cigarettes before bed while reading and relaxing.
    ALWAYS had a cigarette while on the phone.

Those have been the toughest habits to break and TRY not to think of......

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Todays counts are 662 cigarettes not smoked.
    $115.86 money saved
    2 days, 7 hours and 10 minutes life saved
    and not smoked for 1 month, 12 hours and 39 minutes.

• tnlady
    20 years ago

Oh, how well I know it on the driving.... I mean what? I have to actually pay full attention to the road now? LOL!

Computer/surfing for me too. Watching the morning news and evening news. With a cocktail.... Hey, I gave that up too!! Figured it would help cancel out weight gain plus I would loose my will power after one margarita!!

The worst is the ones you were not conscious of...like I was trying to stay busy drawing out specs and making a list for the builder. Mind busy. Hands busy. Well, heck a few times I started to - without even thinking - looking for the cigs and ashtray! Only for a split second but it's SPOOKY how automatic it is!!

Off to get my test results...

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I didn't smoke inside the house so maybe that's why I didn't smoke as much. I was a garage dweller.
    Had my little heater and lounge all set up.
    Strange, I only go to the garage for the car now.......

I haven't had any alcohol either, or coffee. As my brain also associates the 2 with cigarettes.

• dazyjune
    20 years ago

Good Luck to all of you! I quit so long ago I don't remember! I had support from family and friends. I think the forum would be a great idea so I added my 2ç for ya!

It's probably been 12 years or so and I wonder how much I have saved! Again good luck to you all.

I came to this forum looking for something else but had to read this!!

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

dazyjune, good for you! I calculated assuming you smoked a pack a day at the average price of $2.25 per pack

Time nonsmoker: 12yrs
    Amount saved: $9,864.95!!color=red>
    Cigs not smoked: 87,688 (holy cow!)
    Life saved: 43weeks

YOWSA!

Figures like that really help/scare us new quitters!!!

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Vitamins:
    Remember all quitters to take your vitamins!! My doctor recommended 1,000 mg of vitamin C, plus a daily vitamin
    as quitters for some reason loose a lot of these.

Dazy!
    That monetary savings is a new car!! A real cheap car, but a new car none the less!! Congratulations!!

Tomorrow I will hit 700 cigarettes not smoked!

What is everyone's counts?

• quirk
    20 years ago

Six years next month. good luck to all of you.

It does get better. You do stop having withdrawal symptoms that make you insane. You eventually develop new habits. One day, instead of smelling someone else's smoke and thinking how much you want one too, it just smells like nasty ashtray. Interestingly, for me, this happened way before I totally stopped having the occasional craving. It is the weirdest feeling to just be craving so badly something that, when you're around it, is so disgusting. Eventually, though, the cravings go away too. It is worth all the torture you're putting yourselves through.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Does the withdrawal and cravings go "completely" away?
    As if you are a non smoker forever??

The longest I've ever quit in the past was 9 months and
    neither ever went away completely.

• tnlady
    20 years ago

3 1/2 years longest here - and they never went away completely. Parties, bars, restaurants, extreme stress...the devil still showed his ugly head. Guess we need to join a monastery??!

3rd day here. Someone reminded me yesterday that the third day is the hardest. Indeed. I just cleaned the bathroom so thoroughly you could do surgery in there...

2 Days 17 hours 56 mins
    109 not smoked
    Saved 16.48 cents
    Gained 9 hours 5 minutes of Life

I can do this.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

TNLady:
    That just amazes me how many you've NOT smoked in just 2 days!! At that rate, you'll pass me in 10 days or so!!

YES, you can do this, especially if you've quit in the past for 3 1/2 years!! What happened to make you start again?
    I don't remember what made me start after 9 months, but it was the STUPIDEST thing I've ever done.

Are you taking your vitamins??
    And, my bathroom needs cleaned, what is your going rate?!

• tnlady
    20 years ago

Now how the heck would I survive the drive all the way to Ohio without my cancer sticks?? LOL!

What made me start again? Divorce, graduate school, and three jobs with three teens in the house...

Taking a multi, extra C, and E with selenium. Got snow and ice up here on the mountain and I can't get to the Health Food Store (need a REAL multi) for the Zinc my Bro said I should be taking. But I will.

OMG! I can taste again. So funny... Went upstairs and felt a pang. Have been careful with how I relieve those so I grabbed a 4 oz 2% cottage cheese. Opened it up and Yeccchhh.... Thought; I just bought this stuff and had one (4-pack) the other day but this one is spoiled. Opened another and NO WAY!!! ----- I could just TASTE it!! No wonder my 5-year-old goes Bleccch everytime he tries it! Am sitting here now "adjusting my mind" to it. Also planning on what the heck can I have for dinner that will knock the socks off my taste buds? Mexican??!

Off to surf to find something to do with my hands - like an embroidery kit or something - anything.

Still smelling like Mr Clean,

TNLady

• quirk
    20 years ago

pawprint, for me, yes, the cravings did go away completely. It took about 2 1/2 years, so it was not fast, but it did happen. I was about a pack-a-day person for about 13 years... don't know if smoking more or for a longer amount of time matters for how long it takes to truly lose the addition when you quit or if it's just a personal thing. Probably both.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

TNLady: Does TN mean Tennessee? That's not too far from Ohio! You can make it!! :-)
    I guess divorce, graduate school and 3 jobs would do it for me too. But, somehow we have to make a plan that no matter what or how much the stress to stay smoke free.
    I'm not sure how to do that yet! My stress has been low since I'm on short term disability from work with pneumonia. But once I go back will be the real test.....

Thanks for the info quirk. I guess if the cravings will go away at some point forever, there is a light at the end of this LONG tunnel.

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

Crap. I had a setback so I'm back to square one. Made it one whole day :(

Resetting my timer now....

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Where is Weed30, calpat and judyk3504?
    I hope you all are doing okay and still
    successful?
    I know it's a tough one either way.
    GOOD LUCK!

Just saw yours Weed30! A set back is okay!
    At least you're trying again and not giving
    up yet!!!!

Would you like my phone number to call me incase
    of a rough time? I don't mind!
    We need to band together!!!!

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

pawprint, I appreciate the offer. My husband was out of town all week, so I "sneaked" some. Stupid, who the heck do I think I'm fooling?!

I'll email you if I start hunting for butts ;)

(I WON'T!!! I already wet them, then threw in the outside trash. What a loser.)

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Not a loser, you haven't given up yet!
    Keep trying!!

I heard this television commercial, it said that all the
    times we've tried to quit in the past were just practice
    times. I keep reminding myself of that!

• dazyjune
    20 years ago

Wow 87688 cigarettes. That's alot of smoke!
    Actually I am in the market for a new car right now, Imagine that! The money part is iffy~~ "they were just over a $1 a pack when I gave em up~ I'm thinkin $1.20.....at a gas station! For Marlboro. But it sounds great to me!

Setbacks happen, but hey, we are all human! Do you really have to go back to square (no pun intended) one I think not unless you are setback for days or weeks but come on, give your self a break If it's a cig or puff here or there...STOP IT! But don't beat yourself up over it.

If you were dieting and did good for a few weeks and lost a couple pounds, then ate a 1/2 gal of ice-cream (*~*) Sure you'd be upset about it (MAYBE) It might have felt good! LOL! But as long as you get right back on track you can't forget about the lbs. you did lose~ Or the days you did not smoke! Just the way I see it!

I can't say that I 'never' have smoked since the day I quit, but it was usually for the curiosity of it, like at a bar or similar situation. Only a few drags and I was through. Cough cough! Now, if I go to a bar I don't wear my coat in, if it can't be washed. Come home put everything I wore into the washer and get in the shower. No way can I get in my bed smellin like that. The only reason we go is because we like the people we go with and the pizza is great. Only 2-3 out of the 12 of us smoke and they go outside Ha! (at the bar) Probably 7 of the rest of us are reformed smokers...and yes it will take a while, but the craving will go away~~ Think~ Mind over Matter! Even now sometimes I think maybe I should take up smoking again (trying to get hubby to quit) and then I am back to reality! I couldn't now if I wanted to! I'd rather be able to take a full breath when I 'want' too!
    I'll stop rambling now but I really, wish you all, the best!

• tnlady
    20 years ago

Weed,

I have "stopped" several times using various methods. Patches did not get it for me. The gum - blecchhh. However, these lozenges I'm using are much better tasting and "feel" better in the mouth then the gum. The thing that helps me the most with them is when I need to "grab" something (only smokers can relate to that), I can "grab" a lozenge. You can use one an hour and they last about 30 minutes!! Definitely the easiest time I've had with quitting and this after the longest "stretch" without stopping. Think about 12 years straight now (35 off and on all together). I guess I realized how good the lozenges are when I opened up the freezer and saw four packs of my cigs in there...and DH's are always just a grab away.

At any rate, just thought I'd relate my experience with them for you or any lurkers (I've learned after these many years at Garden Web that these threads get 100's of views from people who never post!) who need info.

Made it through day three. 6 lozenges the 1st day. 8 the second and 12 yesterday!!! Think I'm going to get a mild patch today just to cut down on the lozenges because they are so expensive (49.00 for 76 but that was at CVS - checking at WallyWorld today for a better price!!). I still want to have the lozenges for "peak" need and that "grab" sensation.

3D 13H 47M
    142 not smoked
    21.45 saved (spending that at Hobby Lobby today!!)
    LS: 11H 50M

Yes, pawprint - TN. We live "up on the mountain" in Sewanee, Tn - home of University of the South/Sewanee. If you've ever gone to FL via I-24 - you've driven through here about 45 miles north of Chattanooga and 75 miles south of Nashville. How 'bout I send you all my best "bathroom cleaning" hints and you can shock the wife??!! LOL!

Hang in there today guys. This is one minute at a time.

TNLady

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    --Mark Twain

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The gum never worked for me as I thought it was like
    bubble gum. And it made me puke. Then when I
    did it the "right" way, and park between my teeth and
    gums it hurt.

Never tried or used the lozenges. What do they taste
    like? I know nicotine doesn't taste very good. Or I
    assume so because the patches stink really bad!!
    I wish I could send you my patches, as I only used a
    few of them and I can't return them. They are just sitting
    in the kitchen now, and I don't have the nerve to throw them
    out.

Yes, these quit smoking products are very expensive.
    I know it's an excuse, but I always said it's cheaper to
    smoke than buy these things!

I'm at 1 month, 2 days, 11 hours
    $123.07 saved
    703 not smoked
    LS: 2 days, 10 hours, 35 minutes.

(great! almost 3 more days to be spent in a nursing home)

• tnlady
    20 years ago

LOL - when I was teaching Gerontology courses it never failed that a nurse or tech type person that had nursing home experience - or currently worked in one - would "pipe in" when I was discussing the myths surrounding sexuality in the elderly. As the story goes -- the halls are VERY WELL traveled at night no matter WHAT it takes to go from room to room!! Hey, it'll be "Free Love/Flower Power" all over again!!!

So, I didn't make it to Wally World today. Will get there tomorrow. The lozenges are starting to get to my gums and upper palate - kinda raw - so I really need the patches now.

The lozenges have a slight sweet minty flavor. However, you CAN taste the NIC but it's nothing like those puky gum pieces!!!!

Bought East of Eden to read today and a Latch Hook Rug Kit. Guess I'll go enrich my mind or do some busy work!!

TNLady

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I was wondering if those lozenges would ruin your
    mouth like the gum tends to do.
    I know the patches burned my skin for a few minutes
    and then made it itch for about an hour.
    Glad I'm not using them anymore!

Sounds like you have enough to do to keep you busy
    TNLady!

How are you doing Weed30?? Let us know!

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

How are we doing today? I have a painting project do keep me busy!
    My counts are:
    1 month, 4 days, 10 hours smoke free
    Saved $ 130.29
    Not smoked 744 cigarettes
    Live saved: 2 days 14 hours.

• tnlady
    20 years ago

One hour away from 6 days. For some reason had more cravings today then yesterday...Hmmm??? Did Ok though.

Well, it was the Vick's Orange Lozenges getting to my mouth. Quit those and am OK now. Can't decide on the patches now because I only did 4 lozenges yesterday. If I were doing the patch it would be constant nic input.

We have up to 100 posts before we have to start a new thread. Sometime this week??

What Ya painting Pawprint??

TNLady

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

I am still trying but had 3 today :(

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wendy: 3 is better than smoking a whole pack! Don't worry, sometimes starting slowly is the best way. You can do this! It's not easy, but we have faith in you!

TNLady: Painting the inside of the house! That's a challenge to keep me busy. Got the entryway and hallway
    done today. Can't believe I spent 10 hours on that! But
    I also filled dents and nail holes before I painted. For a minute it kept my mind off smoking, but then there were times I thought, hmmm, a cigarette break would be nice right about now!
    Didn't though.......

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wow, I just read my first post on here. My 3rd day of quitting! And now it's been 1 month and 5 days by morning!
    I've amazed myself as I never thought I could make it thus far.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Still painting today! Thinking less and less of cigarettes everyday. Like I said above, the sitting down, relaxing and smoking is the part I miss the most.
    Now I have no reason to "force" myself to sit down.
    Well, I guess while on the computer.

• weed30 St. Louis
    20 years ago

You know, I think I might need the patches. Yesterday I made it till about 2pm and then just couldn't concentrate/felt depressed/weird. I immediately felt better after smoking (what an addict!).

I tried patches before and they did work as far as cravings, probably would help those bad feelings too.

I'm so happy for everyone who is doing so well -- hope to join you soon!

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wendy: You can and you will if you put your mind to it!
    YES, definatly get patches or lozenges to curb your cravings! This is a difficult process and not everyone can do it cold turkey.
    My first 3 days I was cold turkey, but you must remember, I had pneumonia, then when I ventured out of bed, the cravings kicked in. SO I used patches for about a week, 8 days. I know this is no where near long enough and not recommended by the manufacturer, but I felt I was done....

Keep trying!! Cutting down is a good way to start, and then set a "real" quit date! You can do this.

You said this on 1-7-04 "Well now I have hyperthyroidism, probably Grave's disease. Part of it can be Grave's opthamology, where your eyes are affected, possibly making them bug out like fish eyes. Smokers are especially vulnerable."

You know you have to quit. Get your patches, and JUST DO IT!!
    Remember, every time you light up you are negativly effecting your hyperthyroidism.

• tnlady
    20 years ago

By my calculator, it looks like you regain a day of life for every week you are a non-smoker. I've gone a whole week, not smoked 300 cigs, and saved 45.00. Can't believe it!!

Weed, you can do this but I have to admit - as many times as I thought about it - there was this one epiphany (happened to be at 12:15 AM!) that just said, "I'm done." And I knew I was. The supplemental Nicotine is very helpful and as my brother said, "I'd rather wear a patch the rest of my life then smoke cigarettes again!" Pawprint didn't need his long. I need fewer lozenges per day. It's just a matter of tapering down rather then cold turkey. Hang in there!

Pawprint, Just HOW does one gain weight after quitting smoking when you hardly ever sit down anymore? I've gotten more done in this past week then in a normal month - LOL. DH says that everytime he calls home I'm like, "Blah, blah, blah, blah" on the phone talking a mile a minute! Certainly do have 10X the energy I had before!!!! - and it makes me feel ten years younger (and THAT I needed!!!).

TNLady

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I've gained 4 pounds! I'm not sitting either, but grabbing a couple snacks when I would have had a cigarette.

The painting is coming along well, much more to do today.
    The hallways/stairways are done!

TNLady: My life calander must be slow, as I've not smoked
    for 1 month 6 days, but only saved 2 days 18 hours of life.

I think mine is saving 2 days a month. But you smoked
    ALOT more than I did!

• quirk
    20 years ago

Well, guys, hate to tell you this, but nicotine is a stimulant, just like most "diet pills", so for years (decades?) you have been artificially suppressing your appetite and increasing your metabolism. The weight gain is not going to go away like withdrawal symptoms, because it is not a withdrawal symptom, it is just a return to your body's normal metabolism. Might as well suck it up and join a gym now... (or whatever weight maintenance thing you want to add to your life). I weigh 25 pounds more than when I was a smoker, and work to maintain that level. Probably would have been easier if I'd worked on weight maintenance from the beginning rather than waited until I put on the pounds... kept telling myself it was normal to put on a few pounds when you quit, which of course it is, but that was not really a good excuse to do nothing about it, even though at the time I convinced myself it was.

• tnlady
    20 years ago

An awareness of impending metabolic downturn is what postponed my quitting for so long. Am hoping that giving up the alcohol calories plus getting back on the treadmill and doing free weights will counterbalance the issue to some degree.

Had an awful evening last night. First time I had the demon come upon me that says in one ear, "Oh, you can just smoke a FEW a day - that won't be so bad!" or "Your Aunts all lived into their 90's and smoked on their death beds..." Sheesh, then my Angel side would slap the devil around but the whole thing was mentally exhausting. It was the worst "fight" I've endured these nine days and is a much harder battle then the cravings. Hoping for a better day today!!

We are soon to loose our thread...

TNLady

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    20 years ago

See new thread.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994