Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unhealthy Cooking Oil For Deepfry?

Posted by CANDLER (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 18, 04 at 8:48

If a person had to watch cholestrol and fat what type of oil could be used in a deepfry? Someone I know said canola oil would be okay. Another said there's no such thing as a safe oil. Thoughts? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unhealthy Cooking Oil For Deepfry?

My understanding is that once an oil is superheated it doesn't matter what kind it is, it isn't going to be good for you so I just use the cheapest oil for the few times that I fry. I use canola and olive oil in everything else.

o

There is NO deep fried foods that are "good" for someone who is watching cholesterol or fat.

No matter what you use, it's STILL deep-fried and loaded with fat.

o

Thanks for the replies. I can hear my daughter saying "See Dad, I told you so.". Anyone want to buy a new small deepfry . I'm widowed and only myself to feed. I look for shortcuts because I don't cook and get tired of sandwiches and cafeteria food. For whatever it's worth I'm seeing our first snow of the season in the Asheville area of Western NC. I think it's pretty. I can enjoy it more being retired. I haven't forgotten the precarious drives to work. Happy Holidays.

o

Candler ...
Try a crock pot. You don't really have to cook, just throw stuff in and let it simmer.

o

Candler...I also am a widow and only have myself to cook for. I often make myself a big salad....lots of different kinds of lettuce, onions, mushrooms and maybe some thawed shrimp, or some white meat chicken ( I poach chicken breasts in a bit of white wine, or sometimes cranberry juice.
I make a huge pot of veggie beef soup and cool it, skim the fat and freeze in 2 serving size containers.
A piece of salmon filet is good with a bit of lemon and some dill and baked until it just flakes. I do about a pound at a time and use it for lunch.
Lots of things that are easy without resorting to a deep frier....but I do love that stuff!
Linda C

o

Get a small toaster/convection oven. It makes baking or broiling one or two pieces of meat easy. And it won't take up much counter space. Deep Frying, besides not being good for you is messy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here