Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double whammy at my doctor visit

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 7:29

Went for my semi-annual bloodwork yesterday (for my cholesterol). When the doctor took my blood pressure, she had a funny look on her face. I kidded her saying "am I still alive?". Turns out my blood pressure is 92 over 50. It was also very low 6 months ago.

I thought I had a urine infection (cloudy and sudsy urine), so I gave a sample. She told me there was protein and blood in the urine, but they'll know more after they send it out for more tests. It may be a kidney infection, which may explain the pains I've been getting in my lower back.

This time of year is depressing enough for me, without all this going on.

Just wanted to vent; thanks for listening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double whammy at my doctor visit

Hope all turns out well for you........I just went through the bladder and kidney tests as I saw blood in my urine. Found nothing....but makes you wonder where the blood came from. I wish you a good bill of health! Jacque

o

Do either of you do the aspirin therapy. If I take them daily I will have blood in my urine in a couple of months. Even with baby aspirin.

o

my DH has low blood pressure, he doesn't smoke anymore but he still drinks quite a bit and he still has low blood pressure. I tend to think it's one of those things, we don't all fit the mold and where as someone else would end up with high blood pressure, his never even gets up to what would be considered "normal" even when he does eat salty foods or drink alcohol regularly. Obviously if you're on blood pressure meds you would want to cut the dosage but I just think some people are this way normally.

o

I take a baby asprin every day with my vitamins. I've never taken blood pressure medication. Hopefully this is "normal" for me.

I internalize everything (especially lately), so it surprises me that my pressure is getting lower.

o

I can't answer about the urine thing but my blood pressure is normally 80/50 and even though I mentioned this to my dr, he wasn't concerned at all. My only problem is that I get dizzy when standing up too fast. I've never smoked and I'm generally healthy, except under weight.

It did scare the nurses when I had a minor procedure. It was 70/46 and I nurse was ready to pull the emergency cord.

o

Dehydration will cause blood pressure to be low. Are you drinking enough water every day?

o

"It may be a kidney infection, which may explain the pains I've been getting in my lower back."

If its a kidney infection then you might want to consider curbing your intake of soda/pop until you find out more.

Women Who Drink 2 or More Diet Sodas Daily Double Their Risk of Kidney Function Decline, Study Shows
By Kathleen Doheny-WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Nov. 2, 2009 -- Diet soda may help keep your calories in check, but drinking two or more diet sodas a day may double your risk of declining kidney function, a new study shows....

Links that might be useful:

www.webmd.com/diet/news/20091102/
diet-sodas-hard-on-the-kidneys

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/
still-spooked-by-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

o

Just saw this post:

Years ago, I had protein/blood in urine - felt absolutely fine - it was a surprise

Turns out after a kidney biopsy, I had "membranous glomerulonephritis" - which meant protein in urine from kidneys not filtering properly. I had always been in great health, continued eating well - they gave me blood pressure meds for kidneys (not bec of pressure problems) and 9 years later, the protein spillage stopped and I have been in remission for years.

I never felt sick.

You never know what is going on in our bodies. I had it and never knew it. Luckily, it did not manifest into anything else - kidneys are perfect. Very strange disease but could be serious if not looked after.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here