Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Share Experiences with Eye Surgery?

Posted by marita40 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 4, 08 at 7:26

Well, I have to say this is about my worst nightmare, but I'm scheduled for eye surgery in January. Had a long appointment with a vitreo-retinal doctor two days ago and I have a "retinal pucker" on the right eye resulting in deteriorating vision. The good news is that the vision should return after surgery. It is outpatient surgery under local (not full) anesthesia but I'm still petrified. I'm 52 years old, and the only other surgery I've ever had was an appendectomy at age 15. Just wondering if anyone can share experiences.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Share Experiences with Eye Surgery?

Don't fret. It's going to be fine. I had cateract (sp) surgery on both eyes. That meant TWO times I had to do it. I would think that it would be something similar for you.

Something like valium was given by IV which will made me so drowsy that I either did not care about what was going on, or I went to sleep. Either way, it was soon over and I walked out of the recovery room and my husband took me home. I didn't even have to take off my clothes.

Afterwards, for a couple of days, I stayed in and took it easy with regular times for eye drops.

I expect that your surgery will be something similar. There are a lot of things done now with only local anesthesia and some sort of calming medication. The patient feels no pain and is seldom aware of anything. Then, they are easily awakened and sent home. Just follow your doctor's directions.

Oh, I was in my 70s when I had it done. As I remember, I didn't eat any breakfast that morning.

Be sure and go to the rest room as close to the procedure as you can. that was the only thing that happened that was unexpected. I just HAD to go tinkle, really, really BADLY, but there I was, prepared with an IV in my arm. I was afraid that if I relaxed and went to sleep, I would wet myself. The nurses didn't want to risk having to clean the place so we walked down the hall, the nurse pushing the IV stand, to the Nurse's dressing room. It was tricky getting into the little stall with the IV stand, couldn't close the door, and afterwards, washing just one hand. (the other had the IV in it) but we managed and had a good laugh.

o

agnes, I really appreciate your post! I need words of encouragement. They described the local anesthesia they are going to give me just as you have done. I worry that I will panic emotionally, and really hope it works! The surgery is supposed to take 45 minutes, and the eye surgeon told me it is a pretty common surgery--something akin to cataract surgery. Thanks again!

o

Marita40, I think the waiting and dreading is the worse, at least it was for me. If I have to do something that I dread, I want to go ahead and get it over with! NOW, not a couple of weeks from now.

It's amazing what some modern stuff can do. It's hard to believe that you can be out like a light, sound asleep, and all someone has to do is say "it's time to wake up, now." And, BAM, you are wide awake and ready to go home. But that's the way it works. Soooo, just lie there, close you eyes, and let the stuff do it's thing!

The hospital where I was, furnished a pair of dark glasses to wear home. Just in case yours doesn't, tuck a pair in your handbag. the bigger the lens, the better. If it's a bright sunny day, you might want to just close your eyes and let your driver lead you to the car.

o

Marita- I was looking at the health forum and saw your question. I was a Registered Nurse and worked in the OR, always in eye surgery. I haven't worked now for a few years due to an injury, but even a few years ago it was an easy surgery to tolerate. You may or may not have an IV. If the facility/physician you are going to does require an IV, you can tell the anesthesiologist your fears and ask for light sedation. The numbing of the eye surface is done with eye drops, if paralytic eye is needed for the surgery, then you will get an injection.
Don't be scared- you will be surprised how quick it goes, and you will go home.
I hope you have good results!

o

ilmbg, thanks for your response. Once again, it has helped console me. My surgery is a vitrectomy. It is on Jan 14. Any idea how I'll feel two weeks from then when I'm supposed to return to work (I'm a teacher)? The surgery is only on one eye; my other eye is in excellent shape, nearly 20/20. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here