SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bug_girl

a night guard for teeth grinding, worth the money?

bug_girl
19 years ago

Many times with many different dentists it has been suggested, I need a night guard, but I feel that the problem, is not that serious. I feel the damage they are referring to could be normal age related wear and tear.

I feel that all these dentist want to sell me a night guards, when I donÂt really need one. I am quoted all different prices from 300 to even 600 plus.

What is worse, I have heard stories, that people buy them and they canÂt sleep with them on anyway. So, they are a complete waste of money. If I could confirm that I could sleep in one, I would be more likely to buy one. I started to research this topic on news groups on the internet, and found some people saying that a night guard did not help them, even if they managed to wear them. Also they donÂt last that long and have to be replaced over and over again.

Part of me believes that selling night guards to people who donÂt need them is part of an underreported problem, that could merit further investigation by consumer reports types programs.

Does anyone have any further information, or personal experiences with the use of night guards?

Comments (69)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

you live alone? teeth grinding's something that a roomate can often hear in the next room- actually, it drove me out to the couch on a few occasions with one BF- but I was also there the night he shattered one of his molars.

if getting a jock's mouth guard, and checking for yourself (it's really not that hard. put it in your mouth. in the morning, rub something colored on your teeth- lipstick works fine. bite gently. check and see if the indents are deeper than your 'normal' bite) isn't worth the peace of mind...

then just think about how much oral surgery would set you back.

• jlhug
    18 years ago

I am coming to this discussion very late. I have the ability to chew through just about every night guard I have ever tried in just a few months. At $300 to $500 each and no insurance to pay for it, that is just plain expensive. I found the sleep right night guard which works well for me. I can still chew through it, but if I do in less than 90 days, it will be replaced. They cost anywhere from $40 to $70 depending on where you buy them.

Good luck

• Related Discussions

Anyone Use 'Nite Guard' Animal Repeller?

Q

Comments (16)
    You make a strong case and could very well be right. It wouldn't be the first time I tried something because I REALLY wanted it to work. I did a little more googling and came up with the following user comments: http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=95309: I've heard different opinions on them, some people say theyre just a gimmick. They are supposed to make the predator think they are being watched and spook them, thus they leave, or do not enter the area. It's worth a try, so I got one. I'll let you know, I guess. I know a gentleman whose property is part river frontage, and he swears by the thing. Says he used to have huge losses to predators at that edge of his property by every kind of predator imagineable, and it has stopped. There's nothing in it for him to be giving me a line of garbage, so I believed him, thats why I'm gonna try it! (He has goats, pigs, all manner of poultry, exotics, dogs, cats, even emus) http://www.alpacanation.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8382: We have been pleased with both the product and with customer service when we had a problem with one of the units. (second message at same link) I have them on fence-posts facing into the woods, roughly at about 3 feet up on the post....about eye-level to a very large dog. We have a lot of coyotes around here, but have not seen or heard one nearby the last two years...about as long as I have had the Nite-Guard boxes up. I will get some more when we expand the pastures this spring as I believe they work. http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Guard-Solar-Powered-Predator-NG-001/product-reviews/B0014FGT8C/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1: Three of four amazon.com users said they worked for them. The fourth said they donÂt work on beavers. (end of reviews) But then again, before trying coyote urine I saw some hopeful reviews, and that strategy didn't work for me. Will let you all know in a few months, when the snow melts and the pond is running. Signed: hopefulinminneapolis
    ...See More

Teeth Grinding--Dentist trying to pull a fast one?

Q

Comments (5)
    You know, I'm not so sure. I never grounded my teeth until after a got a poorly fitted crown put on. It was like the crown set the grinding in motion. Maybe your dentist is trying to get the crown to fit correctly or trying to figure if some teeth should be shaved so that you won't grind as much? I'd come right out and ask what exactly she is looking for and how long it will take. It's better to solve the problem than to just mask it.
    ...See More

Best teeth whiteners?

Q

Comments (22)
    My hubby (who is generally terrified of the dentist) has done the ZOOM whitening as part of a larger dental process. He had let his dental care slide a bit because of his apprehension and needed quite a bit of work, including some white composite fillings in the front. I helped him find a highly recommended, highly qualified dentist who was understanding and respectful of his anxiety. She recommended the whitening procedure as the first step in his process. He definitely needed it, and it enabled the dentist to "match" the composite material to the natural color of his teeth at their cleanest state. He achieved fantastic results. I do understand that the process can be painful for people with sensitive teeth, but in our experience it certainly doesn't have to be - - his dentist gave him a de-sensitizing gel to use for 20 minutes each day for a week before his treatment. Hubby said if he felt anything he would call it a 'bit of heat', no pain at all. The results for him have been incredible, and he is very pleased and so much more confident with his smile. His dentist has been awesome through the entire process, and has totally changed Hubby's overall opinion of the 'dental experience'. I think that is the key - finding a competent, well trained and highly qualified professional. The cost of the ZOOM procedure was $250. I'm currently wearing braces, but plan to look into whitening as soon as I'm able. I am actually thinking about moving all of my regular dental business to Hub's new dentist, because she's been outstanding.
    ...See More

How do you let go of stuff that's worth money?

Q

Comments (31)
    We offer first to family/friends. If nobody wants it, it goes to charity. My MIL was sure her house stuff was worth money. It wasn't. However, family members were happy to take the big furniture, so she didn't feel bad. Oddly, the various tschotskes DH and I couldn't stand, made her several hundred $$$ from an estate liquidator. Who knew, LOL? There is a wonderful charity here run by our city. They collect ONLY business clothes - cleaned, pressed, on hangers - suitable for job interviews. Low-income residents can go to their various training classes, which include what to do/not to do on job interviews and how to properly fill out job applications. For those attendees who don't have nice clothes for interviews, the charity allows them to pick two outfits for free. When my DH and I retired, we brought them enough to fill an 8' clothes rack. My MIL just passed away and I realized many of her clothes also qualified as "interview ready". DH and I cleaned out our closets again. His was clothes that had gotten too small or shrunk (he's fond of 100% cotton and some of that stuff shrinks more than others). I had hung on to some of my favorite work clothes, including some designer stuff, but finally decided after five years of retirement it was time to pass them along. So there went another 8' clothes rack out of the house last week! We also sorted through our books. We have around 2-4,000 books at any given time. Out went a load of those yesterday to the local library for their monthly sales. But the core of our collections remain: my art books, his hobby reference books, and the fiction novels we deem worth keeping and re-reading. Of these, only the art books are worth anything, and only to collectors. After I sorted through my art books we asked a couple of friends if they were interested in any that we planned to get rid of. They took two paper bags full. They were happy and so were we! Our collection is valuable only to us, especially since much of it is out of print. I used to give very elaborate dinner parties in the '70's. I had six different sets of interchangeable dinnerware and handmade bronze flatware, with lots of serving pieces collected from various places. Entertaining has changed and nobody does this stuff any longer. The main part of the dinnerware was a classic Mikasa bone china with an embossed gold rim, in a service for 12. None of my Millennial friends was interested in it, but fortunately one of our younger Boomer friends was complaining about her grandmother's soft-paste china. Such patterns can't go through the DW so she had to hand-wash it, so as a working mother (she was the breadwinner, in fact) it was too time-consuming to use often. She was familiar with our china and said she would be thrilled to have it. Made her ecstatic, and opened up space for new plain china for us. Yes, I still have the bronze flatware. Nobody else wants it, like silver it has to be kept polished or in bluecloth. Doesn't take up much room in a drawer. Oddly, one of the modestly valuable things I own might someday be thrown out by some relative who doesn't realize what they are. Back in the psychedelic '60's when impresario Bill Graham presented unknown local bands at the Winterland ballroom in San Francisco, for publicity they did not only posters, but fliers and postcards. I have half a dozen pristine, unused postcards of concerts listing Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Cream, Moody Blues, Blue Oyster Cult, etc., stuffed in a box in the garage.
    ...See More
  • zeke
    18 years ago

Wow ,
    after all this time i am releived to know that i am not the only toothgrinder :-) .
    i have wore/cracked at leat 2 of my molars to the point that they have had to be pulled .
    i have been thinking about getting one of those things
    but due to the fact that i wore braces for most of my teenage years kinda makes me thinking about running off screaming in the opposite direction
    as still havent forgot that yucky taste of the mold cream
    in my mouth .... GAG .
    Zeke

• User
    18 years ago

I suggest a mouth guard from an athletic supply store. You can mold it to fit your teeth yourself, and it costs much less than a mouth guard from the dentist. In fact, that's what my dentist recommended to me!

• Lynne_SJO
    18 years ago

As a practicing dental hygienist for 23 years now, and currently a healthcare consultant, I can say that the need for and effectiveness of night guards varies widely. We (the dental profession) in all these years still do not have one accepted treatment modality for dealing with TMJ or brusixm (teeth grinding). I am a bruxer, having started as a teenager after I finished ortho.

There are some pretty agressive Dentists out there ( I temped for one for awhile ) that will claim that night guards will cure anything from insomnia to stress to weight gain. Anyway, my anteriors are pretty worn, but some of this is due to natural wear and age, not just the bruxism. I had a night guard for awhile - my boss made it and custom fitted it for free, but I stopped wearing it. Just could not stand the discomfort.

Some with true severe TMJ pain that does not resolve (most is stress related and will resolve on its own without any clinical intervention) may get some relief from a night guard, if it is properly fitted, because it is designed to place the relationship btw your upper and lower jaw in a more physiologically correct and comfortable position.

Anyway, there is no one size fits all remedy. I say if you are not having and TMJ pain or clincal problems such as wearing through your enamel and into the dentin, or chipped anterior teeth, then your DDS may just be trying to sell you something you don't need and won't use. If you develop symptoms down the road, you can always get one at that time. Also, this is often stress related, so think about that and see if you can identify any possible causes there. Young children also often grind their teeth, due to the fact that their upper and lower jaws are growing at differnt rates and they are subsconsiously trying to find a comfortable position for their teeth to rest.

Also, a 2nd opinion never hurts. Even from the local dental school. It could also be that your DDS is highly prevention oriented and is trying to give you some good advice. Hard to say without a clinical exam.

Lynne in Calfornia - RDH, MA

• sfbriarpatch
    17 years ago

I bought a "Doctor's Night Guard" for $25 at Walgreens last week. It's basically a "fit it yourself" night guard and seemed like it was going to work until I accidentally destroyed it. The problem was that my first fitting wasn't quite right so I tried to alter the fitting by re-boiling it. Mistake - it melted completely. The company SWEARS they will replace it and work with me to get it fitted properly. I'll let you know what happens.
    (Warning! Tangent approaching!) SIDE EFFECT: When my partner got a night guard from his dentist, there was an unexpected side effect: He stopped snoring. I am *absolutely* *not* *kidding*! REALLY DRAMATIC improvement. My guess is that the guard must hold his teeth apart just enough to keep the throat open - just enough to keep tissues apart and prevent snoring. Now, I know there are many things that cause snoring and some people who test this out might not get any improvement at all. Still, in this one case, it's really clear that the night guard stopped the snoring. When I think about the number of relationships that have been harmed - sometimes ended - by a partner's snoring, testing to see if a night guard might help seems like it would be worth the gamble. YMMV.

• bug_girl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I also bought one at Longs and it was not easy to do. In fact, I did it wrong either the plastic was the wrong temperature or I bit it wrong, or both, and I returned it however, with all receipts and packaging, and they gave me my money back. Which was odd because I ruined myself, but I think it is nearly impossible to do it correctly. One would have to buy many of them and have many test runs. Maybe one could buy one and have a dentist help with the fitting?

• sfbriarpatch
    17 years ago

While browsing for info on the web, I stumbled across a dental lab in Georgia that offers a custom night guard kit for $99. Their kit takes you through the exact same procedure you'd go through at the dentists office: Using the materials in the kit, you create the dental impressions and mail them off to the lab. In a few days the lab will send you a custom night guard made using your dental impressions. This was the same procedure that my partner went through when getting his "official" night guard from the dentist. This sounds like it might be more suitable for you, since you've had so much difficulty getting a good fit. Just type "night guard" into google and you'll find several places offering the service. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: dental lab that offers $99 night guard kit

• theturtlelady
    17 years ago

I got one, the hard one that fits on the bottom teeth, and it cost $125 (from the dentist and in NYC). Depending what kind was recommended, I guess you could shop for a better price from other dentists. However, when I got it, I really needed it. I also put it off, not wanting to spend out of pocket and by the time I decided he was right, I had some jaw pain and "clicking" in the joint. I wore it for a while and it helped the jaw stuff, then I let it go. Big mistake - chipped a tooth and cracked a filling, which cost $300 to replace.

And I also chewed pieces of it off, so forget the cheaper soft ones from the drugstore. I'm also on board with agressive doctors/dentists who are doing the hard sell, so I think that you have to judge for youself when the cost is the lesser issue (as if, right?). Repairing damaged teeth will always cost more, though.

It does take a little getting used to to sleep with it and I have found it in the oddest places come morning, like stuck to DH's forehead, so apparently I'm doing way more interesting things than teeth grinding in my sleep. My vote in the end is that it was worth it.

• aindc
    17 years ago

I'm a teeth-clencher myself. The most bothersome part of it for me aren't sore jaws or headaches, but sore gums. I wake up in the mornings with gums that are bleeding slightly.

I saw my dentist last week, who told me that (a) the gum soreness is a residual effect of bruxing (it's not due to gingivitis--I brush and floss twice daily), and (b) I should consider a nightguard.

Since nightguards only mitigate bruxism, rather than stop it, I'm worried that a nightguard won't do anything for me. In fact, a few days ago I bought a Doctor's Night Guard, and it only made the problem worse--I think my brain, while asleep, sensed an object in my mouth and told my teeth that they had to clench to keep it intact.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had gum problems from bruxism?

• acorn
    17 years ago

I had a night guard but was in denial that I really needed it until I broke one of my teeth. After wearing it I found my jaw is feeling better and I don't wake up with a headache. It has helped me with weight gain, I brush floss and put it in after dinner, it keeps me from snacking.

• daphdaph
    17 years ago

ACORN

What kind of night guard did you try?

• terrene
    17 years ago

I used to grind and clench my teeth for years. I suffered jaw pain and clicking, headaches, tooth sensitivity, a cracked tooth, and gum recession. I've also needed to have most of the mercury amalgam fillings replaced in the large molars. And I HATED the dentist too. Ugh.

One of the 1st molars didn't have enough tooth left after the dentist replaced the filling, so the tooth cracked and needed a crown (no root canal).

In another large molar, the dentist botched the new composite filling, decay occured under the filling, and that tooth became badly infected and needed a root canal and crown.

There's more, but the upshot is that I think bruxism was at the root of a lot of my dental problems.

Chewing on food is normal activity for teeth, but the action of bone grinding against bone is not. Even worse is a porcelain crown grinding against bone.

I have had two mouth guards over the years, and they aren't perfect but they do protect the teeth. The hard one was better than the soft one, because it held up better, plus your teeth can't bite into it, they just slide over the hard surface when grinding or clenching.

When I was 39, I was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder, and when that was treated, I stopped grinding my teeth and haven't worn the mouth guard since!

• terrene
    17 years ago

Aindc, I also had a lot of gum sensitivity during periods of time when I was under a lot of stress and grinded my teeth heavily. A dentist once explained that this was because when you grind your teeth, the teeth rock back and forth slightly, irritating the gums.

I think a night guard would help you, but think about one that is as small and hard as possible. Your teeth won't have much to clench into that way, and as I mentioned above, the teeth will tend to slide along the hard plastic as opposed to clench into it.

• acorn
    17 years ago

I'm sorry I haven't checked on this post for awhile. I had mine made at the dental office, I was lucky that my insurance paied for it. They decided it would be cheaaper in the long run. It is hard plastic and was fitted. The care of the guard the dental office recomended was a bit gross, wear it rinse it put it in the holder with cold water. I keep a bottle of dish soap in the bathroom and wash the guard before I put it back(summer it gets hot in my bathroom) I also wash the container. Every once in a while I soak the whole mess in proxide.

• justinmg77
    16 years ago

ok... make sure you consider the causes of your teeth grinding first and some lifestyle changes that may help... but if it is severe you should see a dentist perhaps to confer. although there ARE adjustable night guards you can get which would save alot of time and money... that is definatley an option to consider.

Here is a link that might be useful: Night Guards

• ninathai_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    All of these posts really help me understand the problem. I didn't even know that I was grinding or clenching my teeth. I do not wake up with any kind of pain. Five years ago when I was sharing a room with a roommate in college, she never said or heard anything and I didn't have any problem back then. I graduated, got a job, bought a house then two years later, I noted there are cracks on my teeth near the gum lines. The dentist at first told me I was an aggressive brusher which is unbelievable. I could be an aggressive brusher but not to the point of wearing down the teeth. He suggested a night guard. later on, many different dentists told me that they concerned about the aggressive wearing on the molar surface. Some said that I chew wrong, other said I grind. No other explanation of the crack at the gum line. Finally, one dentist told me that the cracks were due to the grinding and clenching which makes more sense than the aggressive brusher. All of the above posts helped clarify these mysteries to me. Stress brought on the problem which I didn't have before. Cracking, tooth sensitive, worn out molars etc are serious problems even I still up to date don't feel the pain after waking up. I got the Doctors Night Guard to try it. I didn't fit it right until I gave it a second chance (a year later). You have to suck on the guard when fitting to create a vacuum to fit tightly around your teeth otherwise, it will fall out. The question is do I have to wear it the rest of my life? or is there a period that the problem will go away? I do get chapped upper lip in the morning from wearing the guard. It is indeed uncomfortable but doable.

• Rudebekia
    15 years ago

I've been wearing one every single night for nearly 20 years. I am a grinder but also never had any pain. It was clear, however, that I was wearing down my teeth too quickly. I started wearing one around 30; I'm 50 now and my teeth are in great shape. You'll be thankful you started to wear one twenty years from now!

• thesteevo_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I started using a night guard 5 days ago, got it from my Dentist. I am now experiencing a "discomfort" in my jaw during the day and feel like I am constantly pushing my tongue against my back teeth. This is very aggravating. Any one have any experience with this? I am hoping that I will adjust to the night guard and the new jaw "pain" will go away.(not really a pain, more like it feels like my lower jaw is pushing forward.)
    Advice?

• jetsjets
    15 years ago

To clarify, I only wear the guard at night, and now have jaw discomfort all day long...

• compositore_nii_net
    15 years ago

Bug Girl, go for the night guard before it's too late. I am 45 now. At 39 I started grinding and clinching my teeth, although I was not aware of it. Within a year I noticed that my gumlines had receded a bit. The suggested a night guard, but he was so ambivalent about it that I didn't give it serious thought. I wish I had! As a result of constant grinding and clinching I started getting headaches and stiff necks in the morning. But it all took 4 years to happen and I never connected my pain to clinching. Finally, 4 months ago I got tinnitus(the constant ringing in the ears) also a direct result of clinching teeth. My teeth still look alright and are not worn out or anything. So don't count on it as a sign! But the gumline on some of my teeth have receded so much that the roots are exposed and although I have a cap on the tooth, but now it needs root-canal. That means a major operation because the tooth is also connected to a bridge. I basically have managed to destroy my teeth and give myself all sorts of neurological problems in just 6 years (that will make you 46, not 80!) through grinding and clenching without being ever aware that I was actually doing it at night. Go for it! It's just a thin piece of plastic in your mouth. You will get used to it before you know it!

• barasians_yahoo_ca
    15 years ago

I got mine a couple of days ago..I do not have any problem in wearing it by night, i can stand the sensation, but i cannot sleep with it in my mouth..And that's because i cannot close my mouth..How do you people get along with this? I do not grind my teeth anymore, but my mouth dries up and i feel thirsty..
    Is is something wrong with mine, should I go back to the dentist, or am I the "defectous" one? As I see in this long thread nobody says anything about this..

• lucygoose
    15 years ago

I did not read all the posts here, but I did read a few saying they didn't like it.....I have had mine for a few years now.....I LOVE IT......Mine fits on the bottom teeth....it came from the dentist. I will say it was expensive, but I don't remember how much.....just that it seems sooooo high for this rubbery thingy.....LOL....but I can't sleep without it....Wished I had gotten one when I was younger...My dentist said that I might spit it out at first, but I never did....and to watch that the dogs LOVE these.....LOL.....I use Polident to soak for an hour or so in the morning, they rinse and put in the little case it came in.....It's like anything, you have to just get used to it.....no more sore jaw either....

Good Luck to you!!!!

• electracat
    15 years ago

do any nightguards allow one to close one's mouth/lips during sleep? The custom-made one i just got ($470!!!) won't let me close my lips naturally, and i can't stand mouth breathing at night. :(

• tmnoonan_gmail_com
    15 years ago

It is cheaper to have your night guard wear through than having your teeth wear through!!!

A night guard could run you between $400 to $1000, depending on insurance, location, etc.

One way to get around high night guard prices is to go out and buy a sports mouth guard. Those run ten bucks or so and will protect your teeth just as well. Might not be as comfortable, but a heck of a lot cheaper!

Here is a link that might be useful: Night Guard Cost

• imcrnovak
    15 years ago

1. DONÂT USE SPORTS MOUTH GUARD -they're not custom fitted; they're too big and bulky, uncomfortable, and then you won't use it.

2. DO USE A CUSTOM FITTED MOUTH GUARD - this is a much smaller, and more effective so-called 'appliance'

3. BUY FROM ONLINE CUSTOM MFGR. Cost: ~$99 with a 30 day guarantee. My dentist wanted $500!! Dentists make wayyy too much money - ask any banker who deals with them. See: www.nightguardlab.com or Google 'night guard'.

• elizabeth_5
    15 years ago

I checked this forum to see what the group had to say. The variety of opinions and experiences is interesting.

I have had a custom made "bite guard" for about 10 years. I had severe TMJ before I finally got braces in my 30s. There is permanent damage to my right jaw joint from that. It still crunches sometimes due to damaged cartilage.

It was later that my dentist recommended I get the guard due to severe jaw clenching at night. I don't think I grind but the clenching was causing jaw pain, and headaches.

I had little trouble adapting to the plate. Anybody who has gotten used to sleeping with a wire, night retainer knows one can get used to sleeping with just about any "torture", and the plate was nothing like that. It's possible that a good fit is the key.

The guard has worked extremely well - my jaw pain and fatigue and the popping noises disappeared. I slept better. I even seemed to clench less during the day when I didn't wear it.

I can see where some people with sensitive gag reflexes or a drool problem might have trouble adapting. All I can say is that it worked for me.

Mine did get yellowish, despite cleaning with denture cleaner and brushing daily. Like dentures, it's not something you want to leave laying around for others to have to look at. ;)

The problem is that I recently lost the guard. I think it got thrown in the trash by mistake or else the dog ate it.

After insurance coverage, the cost of a new one is still around $200. The dentist said to go ahead and try one from the drugstore, preferably one of those that you boil which can mold to your teeth. They seem to range in price from about $15 to $40.

Only when I checked online for the kinds available (of which there are many), there was a warning with every one NOT to use it if one has diagnosed TMJ. My dentist thinks this is to protect them from some medical liability problem, which makes sense if they don't fit very well.

So I'm back to maybe having to spend the $200. (Note to users: Always put it away in its case after removing.)

As far as dentists getting "too much money" - well perhaps that's true, but my dentist spent almost an hour making sure the plate was a *custom* fit to *my* teeth - no looseness, no pinching. And he adjusted it if I got fillings. I would bet no online store offers that kind of service. Do they even have a warranty? So keep that in mind when considering going the cheaper route.

• gilder_artsanddesignsjapan_com
    15 years ago

My dentist has recommeded a night cuard as I grind and clench and often have bleeding. I hesitate to put a foreign object in my mouth. Sleeping is hard enough with prostate issues and sensitivity to sounds, etc. Noone has mentioned the potential problem of saliva reacting with the plastic. We know that plastic containers do react with food and liquids and leech chemicals. Do we want this in our blood streams? No dentist will mention this. Does anyone have information on this? Ideas?

• nospamm_2000_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Many years ago my dentist said I ground my teeth at night and made a night guard for me. It cost a couple hundred after insurance. It was semi-hard, fit the top teeth, and I needed to run hot water over it every night before wearing it. It was hard to talk with it and a pain to run water until it was hot every night.

About 3 years ago my new dentist recommended getting a more modern mouth guard. My old one was really grungy by then. I got a new one that fit the bottom teeth, was hard and clicked into place and stayed, making it easy to talk. It was also a couple hundred after insurance. It was comfortable and easy to sleep with and worked well. However after about a year of wearing it I put it in my PJ pocket and it got destroyed in the washer.

I've tried a couple of sports mouth guards since then, but both have resulted in puffy, sensitive lips even if I clean the guards daily and/or store them either dry or in soap or peroxide. Lately I've been doing without, but find myself grinding again. I'm thinking of going back to my dentist and getting fitted for a hard one again. Googling "nightguard" I see cheaper ones "one size fits all" or middle priced fitted ones that are tempting, but would be about the same price as the dentist's one with insurance.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

My dentist also said I needed one. At his $500 price I was stalling. Then I saw several different kinds offered in Walmart, in the $20 to $30 range. The first one I tried, one you soften in hot water and form around your teeth, worked but was too bulky. I wore it but was too conscious of it, plus I couldnÂt close my mouth well over it. The second one is perfect. Most of it just covers the molars, with just a thin band in front to hold it on place.

• michaelsmith0004
    14 years ago

One way to get around high night guard prices is to go out and buy a sports mouth guard. Those run ten bucks or so and will protect your teeth just as well. Might not be as comfortable, but a heck of a lot cheaper!

Here is a link that might be useful: Teeth Whitener

• muertai
    14 years ago

I found Dr Brux night guard to be great and they come in different colors. got 20 bucks off using coupon hot20 at http://drbruxnightguard.com

Here is a link that might be useful: site

• madk-ow
    14 years ago

I have been a constant grinder for the past 15 years. A night guard is a definite must. My teeth are quite damaged. I've tried different types, a dentist made acrylic custom made guard as well as the softer, boil to fit pharmacy types. From my experience, the hard custom acrylic night guard was much more comfortable. It also lasted 5 years. The pharmacy night guards leave my jaw tired in the morning. I think I end up clenching the soft plastic like a piece of gum.

For those considering a hard acrylic, I would recommend you stay away from nightguardlabs.com. Terrible service and terrible product. It took almost 2 full months before I received my completed night guard. The customer service department had excuse after excuse. The night guard itself was poor quality. After a little more than a month of use, the night guard is falling apart. Definitely, not worth $175. I paid my dentist $300 for a custom night guard, but that one lasted 5 years. Stay away.

• mac1319
    13 years ago

I have used a bite guard for about 3 years now. Mine is starting crack on one of back ends and I was considering replacing it. The one I have was about $600. I had to pay $175 out of pocket and insurance thankfully paid the rest. The thing with my insurance though is that they will only pay for one bite guard, ever, period. I was thinking about going through teethnightguard.com. The procedure this lab describes (sending a kit for a mold impression and then sending back the guard) sounds like what I remember the dentist doing but for about $130.00 plus shipping & handing. I am willing to try this since I think I having the guard for bruxism has made a big difference. I was waking up with headaches and sore jaw before wearing a bite guard. I admit it took a few weeks to get used to wearing before I slept all the way through the night wearing it. I thought it was annoying and uncomfortable at first. There was nothing wrong with the fit or anything, I just was uncomfortable having something in my mouth propping my jaw open while I was trying to sleep. I felt like I couldn't breathe very well and seemed to produce more saliva; I persisted and kept trying to use the guard each night. I gradually noticed I was sleeping longer stretches of time before I woke up and took the guard out until I found I slept through the night. For me this was not an easy thing to just get used to but now I prefer having it in at night when sleeping. Yes, I find having to run it under hot water to be inconvenient but oh well, its part of the nightly getting ready for bed routine to run it under the bathtub faucet or go downstairs to the kitchen. The water runs hot the fastest under those two faucets.

• jessica_in_vt
    13 years ago

I got my first night guard about 10 years ago, and at the time was appalled by the cost. I had tried the cheap, adjustable SleepRight one and found the bottom band that holds it in place rubbed my lower front gums and made them very sore. It was too uncomfortable to wear for very long, so I ponied up the money for a custom guard from my dentist that fit over all my bottom teeth. Back then it cost somewhere around $350, but any and all subsequent fit adjustments were included in the price. My dentist readjusted it and even patched worn spots many times over several years, so in the end the price was worth it.

It took a little while to get used to wearing it, but it was pretty comfortable once all the fit adjustments were done. The tricky thing about it was I *wanted* to bite it and chew on it, so even though it was protecting my teeth it really wasn't causing me to change my habit. Protection-wise, it did work well for me for years. My biggest complaint was just that cleaning was a hassle, and required extra time every morning to scrub with a toothbrush. I even popped it into my ultrasonic jewelry cleaner once a week to get in all the nooks and crannies.

However, I went to my dentist this week and he recommended a new kind of night guard that is the tiniest one I have seen! It fits over just your two front teeth, and is made of a sort of clear rigid plastic. It looks to be a lot more comfortable, and I think I would be more likely to wear it every night (with the full guard I had before I would cheat!) and even take it with me when I travel. I found the manufacturer's page on the web if anyone is curious. It's called the "NTI Plus." My dentist says he's been having great results with it. I'm going to get one!

Here is a link that might be useful: NTI Plus

• connieconsumer
    13 years ago

I got a hard plastic upper guard from my dentist ($800) about 4 years ago. This device stopped the teeth wear but as one who grinds and clenches I still managed to kill a molar and had to have a root canal.
    Then I got the NTI device for my lower teeth and that seemed to work well but after a year now I see that I am wearing down my central incisors. My new dentist is recommending a hard upper guard like I had (old one no longer fits) at $800 in addition to wearing the NTI. Not happy about that! Will look into the GA. lab referred to above (cost is now $150).

• amybarry_dishmail_net
    13 years ago

I have worked in the dental field for 19 years and grind my teeth at night and always have. I wear a night guard and love it! I find it hard to sleep with out it. There are some that are big and bulky , but there are new materials out that are amazing! The one I wear now has a soft liner and a hard outer surface, it is small and light , and I can speak clearly with it in. You should ask your Dentist about this type, It is worth the money because it is like an Insurance policy for you teeth it helps protect them from preventable wear and tear!

• vala55
    13 years ago

It was explained to me by a very expensive dentist that clinching your teeth causes what seems to be receding gums. Clinching cause the enamel along the gum line to flake off. I have worn my lower teeth off by clinching, but since I have an upper denture I can take those out a night, but I think the damage is already done. The dentist told me if it gets painful it will mean a root canal and a cap on each tooth affected.

• iguanaman_film_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Boys and girls - you can buy a "nite guard" anti grinding insert at any drug store for between $25 and $50. I've had one I bought and Walgreens for over a year and it helps. Actually I've almost ground all the way through it and need another one. End of conversation.

• garden_ykchee1_spamgourmet_com
    13 years ago

I also grind my teeth, and my dentist wanted to charge $400 for a custom dental guard. I managed to find a great off-the-shelf night guard for only SGD40. This is made in the US and is FDA approved. I've been using for 6 months now, and it's very comfortable. You can get it at http://dysonware.com.au/shop/doctors-nightguard-advanced-comfort-grinding-bruxism-p-84.html or http://stores.ebay.com.sg/sgbestseller

• heinrichs_kris_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I got a night guard about a month ago. Both my dentist and oral surgeon said I have TMJ and suggested that I get one. I could have gotten one from Walmart but because I also grind my teeth it would have ripped the guard. I have a custom made one and I have had no problems with my jaw, muceles etc. It all depends on if you have headachs, soreness of the jaw, teeth problems (thin enamel, wearing down of the teeth etc). I know the night guard I have is $500 but because of insurance I payed $25 even then it has made a big differnce. No pain, no soreness, no headachs, less weaing of teeth. With in a week in my night guard I saw teeth marks from clenching and grinding and I thought that I didn't grind or clench but I guess I do. I would suggent that you talk to an orthodontist or oral surgeon before you get one to see if you really need one.

• tedium1_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have severe PTSD and am n constant pain. I took an antidepressant and noticed it made my nightmares worse and my teeth started chipping. I have been in almost constant pain for 3 1/2 years now. I am currently using an over the counter boiled and fitted one that works OK, but I don't think the jaw and neck pain will ever go away. My dentist tells me I will bite through one he makes for 400.00. I have seen several endodontists and 4 dentists now and no one seems to know what to do. One dentist sent me to a chiropractor and promised me he would not "crack" anything. I went, told the chiro to please make nothing crack. He made my neck crack anyway (he was very cocky about his expertise) and now I have 2 to 3 days of pain that makes me want to die. The OTC rubber mouth guard helps my teeth. But I don't think anything is going to help me. I have lost one tooth at the beginning when I didn't realize what was going and that this was serious damage. For the initial poster: I had a dentist for decades who didn't make mouth guards. I tried tomention to him that my teeth were feeling like the enamel was feeling "chalky" and that my medicine seemed to make my teeth snap at night. He ignored me until it got so bad in that one tooth. He sent me to someone else finally and they sold me one of the NTIs for a fortune. It was so hard that it bent my front teeth and THEY started to hurting. I am in hell. If you can use a mouth guard to prevent what I am going through, do it. I should have had one 4 years before I did and now my teeth are out of alignment, my jaw hurts all day and all night. I am in hell. I do not have an answer. No dentist has an answer. No therapist has an answer. No psych has an answer. I even take a new med to help with nightmaares. It does help some until it wears off. This pain has completely halted my life.

• honeysuckle18_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

My dentist suggested a night guard and I got it. Although I hate any smell from plastic or alike material, I still tried to wear it during night. Until one day, my inside lip got ulcer and it lasts more than 1 month and never heales till today. No doctor can tell what's wrong with my lip. Can anyone tells me if the ulcer is caused by the night guard?

• isse_acn_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Damaged to the mouth from hot or spicy foods, chewing tobacco or smoking can cause mouth ulcers. Mouth ulcers may also result from specific medications, including chemotherapy. Underlying conditions that are common causes of mouth ulcers include deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals and hormonal changes.

once you finish eating, get your mouth clean, rinse with warm salt water

• mainec6
    12 years ago

I had a night guard fitted to my upper teeth a few months ago. It was pretty comfortable and after a couple of days I had adjusted to it so well that I preferred sleeping with it.
    I agree with those who felt the wear and tear on the brace is really bad. Mine cracked after 2 months, and always seemed to be less clean than I wanted it to be.
    My big concern is this: I hadn't had a cavity in 37 years. After 3 months of using the guard I have two cavities in my upper teeth. Coincidence? I've often noticed how my saliva isn't washing over my teeth when i wear the night guard. I've always heard that saliva has bacteria fighting properties. So does no(or reduced) saliva = greater bacteria count = greater chance of developing cavities? two new cavities in a few months doesn't sound like it's worth the money to me.

• emma
    10 years ago

I saw an article in the newspaper that you don't even have to be grinding your teeth, just clinching will do the same damage. That is what I do. The dentist said he wore one every night as a safe guard.

My dentist said he would make me one for $200. or get one at Walmart. I could just buy the kind guards football player use. They are available at sport stores.

• SundayMorn
    9 years ago

Would suggest trying soft plastic ones at Walmart or Walgreens first if you have ever had braces. Paid for expensive one from my dentist and it caused worse issues. Changed my bite so I could not close my teeth and started grinding where I only clinched before. Caused ear aches and also messed up bottom permanent retainer. Looked online and found other forums where people discuss open bite issues. Fortunately I did not wear it long. So my teeth went back together and my alignment was not permanently messed up. Try soft over counter ones first you boil to fit. Cheaper and less potential issues if you ever wore braces.

• Maude80
    9 years ago

I have been a grinder for many years and unfortunately, I see no end in sight. Several years ago, my dentist remarked that I should really be wearing a night guard when I sleep to protect my teeth. $400 dollars later, I had a custom night guard that I was instructed to use every night.

What I did not count on was the fact that I was totally unable to keep it in my mouth while I slept. The very first time I used it, I woke up in the morning to find it at the end of the bed, having been chewed up by my Pekingese.. I couldn't really blame him for it, he was just doing what came naturally.

Then I purchased several of the boil and bite night guards that you find at cvs.. Same thing happened again. Even if my dog doesn't destroy them, I know that I will just rip it out of my mouth the second I fall asleep.. So, I'm stuck.

And for those who are curious, here is the culprit:)

{{gwi:2134735}}

• Annegriet
    8 years ago

Absolutely. Without it you could end up with broken teeth! I have been wearing a night gard for years--mine fits only over from front teeth but it prevents the top and bottom from making contact. I believe it was pricey at the time--maybe 400-500 BUT i have had it about 8 or 9 years now and no longer suffer from TMJ symptoms.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH