SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

No standard measurements for contact lens Rx??

sooz
19 years ago

Hi, everyone!!!

I'm continuing my search for good vision with contact lenses. I really didn't like my torics, so now I'm trying rigid gas permeable. So far, so good!

I want to get a spare pair (these are sooo much smaller than my very first contacts years ago!!), but apparently not all manufacturers use a standard of measurement! I've called WalMart and they said it would be a special order and cost me over $150 for a pair!! I went to 1-800 contacts on-line, and they don't have rigid gas permeable. I went to coastal contacts, and they have a variety of types, but I've heard that your contact Rx has the specific brand of contact you were fitted with (sorry to end that sentence with a preposition!).

Can someone please explain why the diameter for one lens mfg (say Accuvue) is different for another mfg (say, Bausch and Lomb) ?

Wouldn't ya think that diameter is diameter and it's a standard unit of measurement, like in millimeters?

Same thing goes for measuring base curve...isn't a curve a curve and measured the same mathematical way?

Juuuust wondering... cuz I'm confused!

Thanks!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus