Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have you ever had your jaw to lock during dental procedure?

Posted by downsouth (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 04 at 18:43

This happened to me about three weeks ago during a crown procedure and it still hurts. I'm going back to the dentist in the morning for him to set the permanent crown and I'm going to ask what caused this and why it's still aggrevating me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have you ever had your jaw to lock during dental procedure?

Consider this: You had your mouth pried open far enough to get his hands, several tools and his assistant's hands in there ... that stretches the muscles and causes pain. The jaw joint can slip partly out of its socket and "lock".

o

It's not unusual. It can also happen during a big yawn if the joint is able to slip out of it's setting. It's not anything to worry about.

Did your dentist reassure you yesterday? I hope everything is going well with your new crown.
PB

o

He decided that the temporary crown was not fitting perfectly and he filed it off some. Since I have been in pain, he wants me to wait until Nov. 29 to come back for the permanent setting, because he said this was a old deep filling and he wants to be sure it doesn't need a root canal. I thought all teeth had to have root canals before a crown was done? I sure hope they don't put a permanent crown on and then later find out I needed a root canal.

The filing of the temp. crown has completely eliminated the sore jaw. He said if your bite is off, it can cause your jaw to be sore and he was right.

o

My husband had a root canal in a tooth that had a gold crown. They drilled through the crown, fixed the tooth, then repaired the crown.
Sammy

o

Sammy, that is good to know. I was wondering how they were going to do this, if later on I needed a root canal. thanks so much for letting me know this can be done w/out removing the crown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here