Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cough and alternative medicine

Posted by gma_j (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 18:31

Have any of you used any type of alternative medicine for a chronic cough? I am talking about a cough I have had for probably 30 years. I have had every test you can imagine with no real solution.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cough and alternative medicine

I know this might sound strange....but do you clean your ears too often? There's a nerve in your ear canal, close to the surface, and if it gets irritated by cleaning your ears too much, you can get a cough from it. It happened to me.

o

catherine, I've been dealing with this cough for so long, nothing sounds strange..LOL
But I don't clean my ears too often so I doubt if that would be it...thanks so much for the information, though.

o

My son has had 'hypersensitive' cough since childhood but got rid of it -for good- with acupuncture and Chinese pharmacopia, through my acupuncturist.
Of course, a healthy regimen and dust-free environment doesn't hurt!

We also have two cats (have always had at least 2 in the house) and for a long time attributed his cough to that but tests revealed no allergy to them, thank God!

o

clairabelle, I am so glad to hear your son got relief through an acupuncturist as that is what I was thinking of trying. My granddaughter has been going to one for female problems and has received immense relief from her problems.
Over the years, I have had every allergy test imaginable (some more than once), CT scans, esophagus xrays, scopes. They have given me, I think, every allergy med known to man to try...LOL...with no relief. When it is at its worst, I just don't go to any social function as it is embarrassing to cough and cough.
Thanks so much for sharing your son's good response to accupuncture..I think I will give it a try.

o

gma......do you think its possible that its a tic? I'm not discounting your problem as real, because I know it is. But sometimes we need to change our approach to things. I'm wondering, since you've had so many tests, if something like a light dose of an antidepressant might work. The brain is very, very complex.
I have this thing where I hear small sounds in the distance, and they drive me crazy. Since I've been on Zoloft, I don't notice them. Well, I notice them, but I don't go crazy from them.
Sometimes that can work on repetitive physical things too.
good luck to you!

o

I and the doctors have talked about a tic and decided that was not the case. I am taking 100 mg of zoloft a day. Has the sounds you hear been diagnosed as tinnitus? I have that also.
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I really think I will try accupuncture first now and see what happens. I am an upbeat person so I don't dwell on letting these things spoil my life, but if I can find some relief, it would be such a blessing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here