Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low B12

Posted by faye8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 05 at 15:30

My mother had some blood work done last week and it found her B12 too be low, 506. The doctor's office called about it. I was wondering if anyone knew what the normal reading should be.

Thanks,
Faye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low B12

What are the units of measure?
I found only 1 source that listed normal as >100 pmol/L.

o
RE: Low B12

The problem is that a B12 deficency is hard to diagnose. What seems to be OK for one is too low for another. The usual course of treatment when the patient complains of the usual problems is to give a course of B12 injections and see what happens. Usually, improvement is noted within 24-48 hours. Then, the doctor can say "Aha, it was a B12 defincency!"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here