Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Seniors choosing health insurance?

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 16, 09 at 11:30

My DH's former employer offers several different group plans to retirees and their families. We have to decide by Nov. 21.

We had planned to continue with a Medicare Integration Plan that we used for 2009. (Pays the 20% Medicare won't.)

Some posts on the Kitchen Table seem to favor a Medicare Advantage Plan. I'm trying to understand that type of plan -- why it might be better for us.

We don't want an HMO.

Only I need a drug plan. DH doesn't.

Anyone here able to explain Advantage plans in general?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Seniors choosing health insurance?

We had Secure Horizons through DH's retirement from the Teamsters Union.
We have an HMO with a great prescription plan because of the Union......I doubt we could afford to pay out of pocket for anything different. It works for us.

o
RE: Any Seniors choosing health insurance?

We just went through switching DH from Secure Horizons, which is a medicare advantage plan to original medicare with Part D prescription drug plan plus medigap supplemental insurance plan.

Before we did anything I spent weeks reading and digesting, trying to sort out what -- to me -- is a swamp.

I am happy to share what I learned.

chisue-- My DH's medicare advantage plan, which has 0 annual cost plus drug copays *is* an hmo. It's hard to generalize as these things vary from state to state and company to company. But, essentially, if an advantage plan covers you only if you see doctors in their network and only allows you to purchase drugs on their formulary then it *is* an hmo.

That system worked fine for DH until he developed a rare medical problem. Then suddenly no docs took his insurance and all the consults were 100% not insured.

Medicare approved supplemental insurance plans basically cover deductions, extra doctor's fees, extra hospital fees and a variety of other things such as skilled nursing, or at home care depending on what you choose. They run A (the most basic) through L or M -- each cover different things.

If you only need drugs, it may be possible for you to get a drug plan under medicare Part D. Not sure how that would gibe if you are otherwise covered by your DH's insurance but medicare can tell you.

They also would walk you through choosing a drug plan. It's complicated and you're basically making a best guess but they have a computer program that shows you approximately how much each drug plan costs and what it involves. Having a computer is a huge help in all this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here