Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ammonia in my sweat when running under high relative humidity

Posted by gustavob (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 9:38

I find my clothes soaked with a strong smell of ammonia when I do my running routine (5-6 kilometers) I am almost sure when the relative humidity of the atmosphere is high. I wanted to confirm it is normal, and there is no problem with my diet or anything like that I should take care of.

Thank you in advance, Gustavo.-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ammonia in my sweat when running under high relative humidity

I had a friend once that had that same problem and it was because he had gout. I'm not sure what that disease means or how to treat it or if the ammonia smell was due to the medicine he took for the gout.

o

My Uric Acid level is normal (5.9 mg/dl) so this is not my case.

o

The amonia smell is from the amino acids in nitrogen. Many body builders have this problem too. There is nothing seriously wrong, but it does mean that you are probably not drinking enough water. Simply increase your water intake and it will go away. For a fuller explaination check out the site below

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here