Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Eye Exam

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 8:31

I'm what they call "glaucoma suspect". My pressure is 14, which is statistically normal, but my optic nerves are "suspicious". There's a loss of nerve tissue in both eyes, but the doctor said I may have been born that way. I have to go back in 6 months for a follow up.

Has anyone encountered this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Eye Exam

I think eye pressure changes over time. Mine was high a year ago and my doctor was worried. Then, this year, when I went back, for whatever reason, he said it had gone back to normal. (I don't have the exact number). Good luck and let us know what happens.

o

It sounds as if your doctor is on top of things and wants to be sure to do what needs to be done as soon as possible. Take his advice.

You may never have any problems. Try to get him to talk frankly with you about possibilities, etc.

o

I am also in that 'glaucoma suspect' category. High pressure in both eyes. Started going to the ophthalmologist about 6 years ago. Have done all sorts of tests (some with pupil dilation; others, like the visual field test, without). A lot of base-line testing and updating. Nothing has changed. Doc says some people just do have higher pressure or different-looking optic nerves (even tho I was nervous because my mother did have glaucoma).
The professionals have the tools to monitor change. It won't happen overnight, so I don't sweat it. (But then again, I will not just brush off any weird visual happenings!)
Just keep doing your follow-ups!

o

I went back again yesterday for a follow up. My pressure was 17. They took a bunch of tests and said the optic nerves in my right eye were larger than the ones in my left, and they see some damage. They're concerned because I have no risk factors for glaucoma. They gave me drops for my eyes and I have to go back in two weeks for more tests.

Back in November my pressure was 14, but they said in one of my prior visits it was 21.

Needless to say I'm scared.

o

I don't understand the bouncing pressure. Are you going to a regular eye DR. or an opthamologist? I too get checked every 4 months and use drops once a day at night. My Dad had glaucoma, and I have the indication, but by monitoring it like this so far it is under control. But high blood pressure affects your eyes also along with other things. Ask your DR. or your primary physician also.

o

I'm seeing a regular eye doctor, but I think I need an opthamologist also. My blood pressure is low, so that's not an issue thankfully.

My sister told me she was suspected of having glaucoma, but after many tests it was found the nerves in her right eye were split; she may have been born with it, and it may be hereditary. She does not have glaucoma.

I'm seeing the eye doctor again this weekend, and will tell her this.

o

Went to the eye doctor on Sunday. My pressure went down from 17 to 13 with the eye drops, but I'm consistently failing the field of vision test in one part of my eye. Between that and the extent of the nerve damage, they're saying it is glaucoma. I have to keep taking the eye drops, and will follow up with the doctor in 3 months. In the meantime, I will try to find an opthamologist who specializes in glaucoma.

Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper.

o

Good luck, and keep us posted on what happens.

o

Here is an article that just came out about glaucoma. I've included a link for it as well as a link for natural remedies that MAY help reduce pressure. HTH.

A New Understanding of Glaucoma
By PETER JARET-Reporter's File
The New York Times
July 16, 2009

For years, glaucoma was defined as elevated pressure within the eye that leads to vision loss. And for years experts knew there were glaring gaps in that definition. Many people with abnormally high intraocular pressure never develop glaucoma. As many as one in three people who do get the disease have normal or even low pressure.

As researchers have tried to resolve those contradictions, a new paradigm for understanding glaucoma has emerged. Glaucoma isn’t simply an eye disease, experts now say, but rather a degenerative nerve disorder, not unlike Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.

“All three of these diseases affect aging populations and involve selective loss of certain populations of neurons,” said Dr. Neeru Gupta, a professor of ophthalmology and director of the glaucoma unit at the University of Toronto. “Parkinson’s affects motor control. Alzheimer’s affects cognition. Glaucoma disrupts vision. But the closer we look, the more they seem to have in common.”........

A link that might be useful:

health.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-glaucoma-ess.html

www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/21/116.cfm

o

Dreamgarden - thanks, I'll take a look at the article.

Thanks to all for your support, and I'll keep you posted.

o

I just went through this. I had both my eyes lasered (a hole put in them). You can't tell any difference and it does not hurt..... except in the wallet! I was told about 2-3 years ago I was a glaucoma suspect and I didn't do a thing about it till my last exam about a month ago. She said I needed it done about 6 months ago. I think my pressure was 17.

o

The drops brought my pressure from 17 to 13 in 2 weeks.

I will be seeing an opthamologist in a few weeks to figure all this out. He comes well recommended.

After taking these drops for almost 4 weeks now, I can understand why people stop doing it, but DON'T!

Your eyes are too valuable to fool around with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here