SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Medicare Muddle - What Plan to Choose?

chisue
15 years ago

I'm finding the number and variety of choices are too much for me. Is there a worksheet I can fill in that would help?

DH and I have Medicare A + B + a United HealthCare policy through his former employer. The policy is not a Medigap policy but does have good drug benefits (via mail order).

I'd like to compare what we are paying with Medigap plus Drug policies. When I go online it looks like I will be annoyed by a dozen or more insurance salespeople if I fill out their forms! There are 45 plans offered in my Chicagoland area.

DH takes two inexpensive generics daily (retail cost $18/mo or $216/yr).

I take one expensive non-generic twice daily (Advair - retail cost $180/mo or $2160/yr).

Under our current policy DH paid $72.40/yr and I paid $280/yr for these meds. We paid another $175 for antibiotics, etc. So...our out-of-pocket drug costs totaled $527 for the year -- plus the cost of the policy premium (which will be $1776 for 2009 -- covers us both).

In 2008 we've paid $2500 out-of-pocket for MDs and tests not fully funded by Medicare.

In 2009 I will have the usual medical expenses like a Physical, GYN checkup, mammogram, ENT (chronic sinusitis), and I never get through a year without some MD visit for some sinus or asthma-related infection.

DH will have a Physical, colonoscopy, dermatologist. (If we don't have a Medigap policy we'll be paying 20% of those bills.) Let's use $2000 for our 2009 projected out-of-pocket 'medigap' bills.

That all adds up to the following for the two of us:

Medicare A + B = $2314

UHC Premium 1776

O-O-P 'gap' 2000

UHC Drugs 352

Antibiotics 175

Medicare Deduc. 270

UHC Deduc. 2000

I think I must be able to do better than $8887!

Comments (2)

Sponsored