Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chronic Chapped Lips

Posted by ms_minnamouse (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 07 at 23:58

I have NEVER had lips that weren't chapped ever since I can remember. Except for two weeks that I spent in Israel, they were perfect some how which is odd because of the dry air.... But anyways.

I've tried so many things. Hand lotions, body lotions, foot lotions, balms, chapsticks, Vaseline, aquaphor, milk, honey, burtsbees, dead sea stuff, hair conditioner, organics, alcohol free, drinking with a straw, Doctor Dann's, talked to my dermatologist, exfoliated, leaving alone, humidifiers, etc.

I got a sample of squalene that seemed to have worked but then i found out that it was made from sharks so i found some derived from olive oil and it's just not the same. I'm actually considering the one harvested from poor sharks.

Nothing works. I feel like a freak. No one else in my house has lips like me. And it makes me feel bad when you see women on TV because they all have those puffy, full lips and I have small dehydrated lips.

It's painful, bothersome, etc. Please help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chronic Chapped Lips

I ride my mountain bike approximately 20 miles everyday, and am starting to experience the same problem. However, I believe that yours is way more serious. It's as if nothing stays on long enough to be of any help.

Have you tried applying a small amount of an over-the-counter strength (usually 1%) hydrocortisone cream.? 1.5 to 2% would probably be more effective, however you would need a prescription for that. The cream should decrease your inflammation enough so that lip balms can be used.

Just try and stay away from constantly using petroleum-based products, as they prohibit the skin from breathing.

You mention that you talked to your dermatologist. I can't believe that he didn't at least mention the use of hydrocortisone cream. What was his recommendation?

o

I'm wondering if you have the unconscious habit of licking your lips? That can really dry them out.

o

I have the same problem. I think it's allergies, because the chapped lips and allergies run in my family.

I haven't tried as many things as you have, but the only thing that helps me is Blistex medicated lip ointment, the white stuff that comes in a tube.
Good luck.

o

Dr. Dann's is hydrocortisone cream. Tried it! See? I'm all out of ideas!

I also forgot that I used Aluzene too. Salycidic acid too.

I don't lick my lips. I tried the Blistex too. It's basically vaseline with a numbing agent.

o

I too have chapped, peeling lips. They are better now that I drink at least 8 bottles of water daily!!!

Also, I see an aesthetician for monthly facials, and complained of my chapped, peeling lips.

She gave me a product to try that is helping.....
It is
PCA Lip Renewal Treatment Home Care Regimen.

I do like it, use it twice a week in the evening, sometimes in the morning. Their website is www.PCASKIN.com

This, plus my water intake, plus Chapstick when ever i think about it, are helping. I think water intake, for me, produced the most measureable difference, then the PCA, then the Chapstick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here